Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I am still very new to the site and this is my second post so bare with me if im do something wrong. I recently changed my africans over from a 20 gallon tank and upgraded them to a 55. I have two bio wheels in there but someone I read some posts on here about needing a powerhead. So I went and bought a marineland powerhead today and I just had some questions on it. Should it stay on all the time? Also is it normal for it to be up near the top of the tank and pointing upwards. I didnt know if it should be way down by my rocks, or in the middle, or up top but up top looked most normal. Also do I need more than one. I got the marineland 550 submersible powerhead. And should it be on full blast or just like middle? And my last question is what does having this do for my fish and my tank? Thanks everyone...Im still learning...

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
They can aid in circulation and aeration/oxygenation of the water. There are different strategies for placement. I put mine up near the surface pointing toward the surface to get surface ripple. But there are also good reasons to put them lower. You may need to get more lower level water moving so it gets to the surface because that's where the gas exchange takes place. CO2 is given off while oxygen is taken in at the surface. Speed of flow depends on a lot of things, but generally you don't need them to be blasting the fish around like leaves in the wind just to get the water movement that you need. I like two smaller ones at a lower flow in the back corners, rather than one stronger one, but no hard rules. Put them too low and they can blow your sand around. Most any placement will benefit. The goal is to increase water movement and circulation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome thanks for the tips. excited about my new purchase, but now that you say that i think i am gonna get one more. mine are in the back too and i'd ideally like to have two. one in each back corner.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Try to do away with any dead spots in the water. Getting all the water moving does lots of good things. Temperature will be more ven all acroos the tank if the water is moving. Gas exchange at the surface is better when all the water gets pushed/pulled to the top. You may find the debris in the tank gets filtered better if it all runs by the filter. All good things. If you see debris falling to the bottom and just setting in place, you may have a dead spot. Don't expect perfect but try for it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I only have one in my 90 and I point it up at the top to get more surface aeration as this is one of the most important things. My filters tank care of the rest. You have 2 hang on back filters so your surface aeration should be fine. Place it in the middle or something

·
Registered
39 Posts
yup yup, i have my spray bar just under surface and pointed up, also have a bubbler (not generally needed, but I have no air conditioning and my living room gets quite warm in the summer so figured i'd add air mix to water) so lots of surface agitation, so my 2 powerheads are positioned near the top of the 90G tank both pointing down - one halfway back pointing down at front glass, the other on opposite side near front pointing down toward back glass.

the purpose FOR ME was to increase circulation at the bottom to keep poop off the sand substrate. Before i was having to vac the sand every 2-3 days. Now i vac the sand maybe once a week and even then it's only a few spots that need it.

I read some posts on here about needing a powerhead. So I went and bought a marineland powerhead today and I just had some questions on it. ... And my last question is what does having this do for my fish and my tank?
my suggestion is don't go buying stuff until you know what they do and know that you need it ... unless you have lots of money in which case i have a business idea for you ... i'll pm you later :lol:

run your tank and see if you are getting lots of poop on the substrate (likely won't need surface agitation with 2 biowheels) if you are getting poop ... use powerheads pointing down to blow it off bottom, filter will do the rest.

Cheers!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts