Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess the easiest question is: Are they the same?

powerheads are submersible and so are water circulation pumps. What’s the difference? Is it only the flow control options?

I have a no name brand power head that powers an under gravel filter system. I'd like to just mount the powerhead in the bottom of a different take to circulate the water and keep the new PFS substrate clean.

So is there a difference? Or is it just a name/marketing?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Powerheads shoot a more centralized stream of water whereas a water circulatory is more like a ccaged propellor or fan that moves a broader stream. Great for tanks w sand since it doesn't blow around the sand as much as a comparable gph powerhead.

I use the koralia water circulators n love em. Have a 750 n 850 gph in my 75g along with my canisters and seems to work great.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK that makes sense. If this no-name powerhead just sprays a small stream of water at full blast it might just disrupt the sand and not be any help.

I guess that’s why a Hagen or something with an adjustable flow is better suited to do both UGF or circulation if needed?

Sounds like if i can find a height/angle it works with that doesn’t kick up sand into my filters might be worth a shot instead of spending more $. =)

thanks

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Yeah I would try it at least. Chances are you will be able to use it just fine especially if you point from side to side rather than front to back since there will be more room for the stream to disperse.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts