Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a standard 75 gal tank with 2 filters. One is an AC110 and the second is a Fluval 405. I am using sand substrate and have big rock piles in the center that runs the length of the tank with a couple of free inches on each end.

I am thinking of adding a powerhead to assist in fluidizing the waste so the the filters pick more of it up. Currently the filters have enough suction to pull the waste to the back of the tank, but does not seem to pick all of it up. I have seen where Hydor Koralia Evo powerheads have be recommended alot, but I was not sure what size to use in this application. They have a 750, 550, and 425 gpm models. So what have others used or recommend.

Or should I just forget the powerhead, and deal with manually cleaning the sand?

Thank

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I use a Aqueon Water Circulator, because I have a 125 gallon tank, I got the 1250gph model for like $40. I'm sure you could get a lower flow model for your 75.

If you place it properly (along with your 405) you shouldn't even need the 110 anymore.

Just put it so the flow from the PH/Water Circulator bounce/meet across the tank (front-to-back) from the intake and the detrius should flow into the 405 intake.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a 75G as well and some of the waste was not being picked up by the intakes so I decided to get a powerhead. I got the Hydor Koralia Evolution 750GPH and it is just perfect for a 75G imo. The flow is very wide spread, not like the concentrated jet-stream you get with cheaper powerhead.

Anyway since I got it there is no more visible waste on the sand, but of course there is still some between and underneat rocks. I have it on the upper left corner of my tank, aimed slightly at the surface and toward the middle of the front of the tank (hope that make sense). My filters output are also both aiming from left to right, creating a big circular motion.

I remember having a hard time deciding what GPH to get for a 75G so I hope this will help you decide. The mbunas really love the added circulation, especially the demasonis.

Mike

1 - 3 of 3 Posts