Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a powehead something that has to be connected to an underground filter, or is it its own unit?
I'm thinking about purchasing one to add water flow to my tank, and was just curious as to whether on not it has to be connected to something else.
Thanks

·
Banned
406 Posts
No it can run by itself. I have one I'm using to push debris towards my filter intake.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Get one that you can attach an open foam block to the intake. That way you'll also get some excellent, easily maintained filtration.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Many do have different ways to use them. I buy the elcheapo type from Walmart. They come with a bottom portion that is slotted to make a form of strainer. This piece has various stepped diameters as it goes up so that one can fit different size pipe or tubing over the end. This gives the option of using alone ,pulling water from 3-4 inches below or adding as much pipe as needed to pull water from the bottom and release it at the surface. I tried adding a sponge at the bottom of a pipe for a filter but found in my case it needed cleaning way too often. I do find them a pain to keep in place if I don't form a bracket to hang them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts