Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 65 gallon tank approx which is filtered by an FX6, and also has a sponge air filter which creates some aeration at surface.

Recently had to take the air sponge out for a fry tank and when looking at purchasing another air pump started to look at wavemakers and powerheads.

My gut feeling is to buy a powerhead (been looking at the Eheim 1212) and adding a sponge to it rather than just add a wavemaker.

The fx6 pushes some water around but with all the rockwork in my Mbuna tank, and detritus collecting in areas it might be a good option.

I guess if I do get a powerhead or wavemaker will need to make sure the flow isn't pushing directly against the FX6 outlet.

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Your African Mbuna will appreciate a bit more water current in their aquarium. Oxygenation of the water, and blowing out waste and detritus buildup out of the rocks and dead areas of the aquarium are definite pluses, as well.
On the down side, adding an electric motor down inside the water, will build up a bit more heat inside the tank. Plus, I've never been much of a fan of the electric wiring and industrial look of those things in my own aquariums....
But, to each his own, I susppose. :roll:
-
If you do get a powerhead, I would recommend getting one with the 'sweeping' (side to side) motion of the flow. They have others that can send water flow in two directions, so that seems promising...
-
Your FX6 has a lot of capacity and water flow you could possibly manage a bit more creatively. This kit thing from Life Guard Aquatics looks interesting, as something you could try,

-
Or, if you are a bit into the DIY thing, and want to get into the 'ultimate' in directed output water flow for your aquarium?
These are custom-built, Under Gravel jet systems,

-

Built and installed when the tank is dry, UGJ provides a dedicated method to provide ultimate control of your filtration discharge water flow. That's kind of nice. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi - thanks for the reply. Struggling to find that Life Guard aqautics kit online, most of the Life Guard stuff seems to be predominantly USA based too. I will see if I can find something similar to replicate. I did think that by adding a sponge for the powerhead will get another element of filtration in too

·
Premium Member
4,712 Posts
Yeah, I believe Lifegard is a US company. And, with the current problems in shipping, etc... didn't think of that.
If it helps, you can find that kit with a search:

Lifegard Aquatics Customflo water system

·
Super Moderator
1,862 Posts
I think you will have a problem finding an off the shelf option for replacing the FX6 nozzles, usually that is a DIY option to add a spray bar or something similar due to the hose diameter.

Have you tried adjusting the nozzles so that they flush out detritus from the rocks or if you have the ability to move the outflow pipe to different sides of the tank on a rotation basis?

I'm also not a big fan of power-heads in the tank though I do have one in a 220G six foot tank that doesn't offend me too much. Since your tank is 65G, you might want to consider one of the smaller or nano circulation pumps made by Hydor such as the Koralia Nano, their website is Here. You could then move it from one side of the tank to the other as needed depending on which model you get.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not looking to replace the FX6 nozzles, it moves the water around the tank fairly well. It was more to whether something could supplement it.

I currently use a turkey baster once or twice a week to syphon up some of the mess in dead spots.

As I had an airline sponge filter in there too wondered if a powerhead with sponge would be a better option... Thanks.

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Arps1978 said:
I'm not looking to replace the FX6 nozzles, it moves the water around the tank fairly well. It was more to whether something could supplement it.

I currently use a turkey baster once or twice a week to syphon up some of the mess in dead spots.

As I had an airline sponge filter in there too wondered if a powerhead with sponge would be a better option... Thanks.
If you are ok with having a sponge in your tank anyway, attaching a maxi jet powerhead instead of air would be a decent option and an improvement.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts