Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired some used equipment. Part of this was a bucket with several used powerheads. The one thing they all had in common was no mounting brackets.

The commercial brackets I have seen are about as expensive as just buying a new powerhead, which I really don't need to do.

Do any of you guys have any thoughts on how to hang a powerhead without the original bracket? I have seen only one idea so far for heat bending faux (plastic) wooden blind louvers.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Could you silicon a (few) suction cup(s) to the back? That would probably work.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Metal plumbers tape cut down to fit the slide brackets on top works for me. I file or use a Dremel tool to cut it to fit.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PfunMo said:
Metal plumbers tape cut down to fit the slide brackets on top works for me. I file or use a Dremel tool to cut it to fit.
What is metal plumbers tape? That's a new one on me. Is it like the metal duct tape? More information as to how you do this would be good. :) Sounds interesting so far.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I may not have the correct official name. We call it plumbers tape because they use it to hang pipes. Perforated tape may be the "real" name. Basic metal strip about 1/2 inch wide with holes every 1/2 inch or so. Flexible steel but thin enough to cut with tin snips, etc. I found it was just a bit wider than the place where the original bracket fit on the top of my powerhead so I cut the strip width down to fit the grooves and bent it in a couple places to form a hanger. I got tired of the suction cups coming loose and finding the powerhead on the bottom. This is not a thing of beauty and does rust after a while but does hold the head in place. When/if it totally rusts out, I can make another pretty easy. Aluminum flashing might last better but it was too thin for me. I don't worry about metal being in the tank. Old tanks were metal framed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PfunMo said:
I may not have the correct official name. We call it plumbers tape because they use it to hang pipes. Perforated tape may be the "real" name. Basic metal strip about 1/2 inch wide with holes every 1/2 inch or so. Flexible steel but thin enough to cut with tin snips, etc. I found it was just a bit wider than the place where the original bracket fit on the top of my powerhead so I cut the strip width down to fit the grooves and bent it in a couple places to form a hanger. I got tired of the suction cups coming loose and finding the powerhead on the bottom. This is not a thing of beauty and does rust after a while but does hold the head in place. When/if it totally rusts out, I can make another pretty easy. Aluminum flashing might last better but it was too thin for me. I don't worry about metal being in the tank. Old tanks were metal framed.
Thanks for the additional info. I know what material you are talking about now. I have always called it metal strapping. Maybe a bit of spray paint on the metal after you have it about where it needs to fit would help with the rust. I am just a bit sensitive about rust since I killed my nine year old Tomato Clown the end of last year - trying to get a dead bulb out of a rusty florescent fixture.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
No proof of course but I suspect it was some of the chemicals in the bulb and base rather than rust. There have been several discussions on forums about metal and many have had it lie lost in the sand for long periods without harm. We do so much water changing, that most things like metal have little chance of building up to a lethal level as we keep moving the polutant out. At least that is my theory, which I may find wrong someday. Good luck. If you use the tape, there is a galvanised which lasts much better than the plain but when I filed the edges, it removed the coating.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again. That looks like it would work great with cable ties to hold the powerhead.

Sadly, I am sure it was the rust. I jarred the fixture and about a cup of rust fell in the tank. Poor Nemo. I'm not saying metal is bad in general just that I know a cup of rust powder killed either the fish, the filter or both within hours.

Jim

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Okay. I agree that was just too much at once! I was thinking the slow gradual way so that it gets diluted. I found fish eating the lead pellets out of thermometers will do them in as well. Does your powerhead have grooves across the top where the original bracket slid in? I fit my metal in those with some filing. Ties should work, too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The two powerheads I would consider using in my 125G because they seem fairly strong pushing water are a Rio 1100 and a Hagen Aquaclear 402. Both have grooves on the back for mounting brackets. I suspect they would be fine fastened to a pipe hanger with a HD cable tie. The Rio 1100 is actually part of a Coralife Protein skimmer that I have just taken apart to clean. I might also silicone a piece of foam to sit between the metal bracket and the tank glass.

If I end up doing this I'll hit you up with a picture. Thanks for your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts