Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The power company is replacing the electric service to my house and told me to prepare for a full day or two without power. Is there anything I should do for my fishtanks (aside from keeping filter media wet)?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Get some battery powered air pumps and enough batteries to keep them running until power is restored.

Wrap the tanks with blankets to help insulate them and slow the loss of temperature. Don't feed them during this time... they'll live.

Those are the two concerns I can think of... others will have more advice for you.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I don't think I need to worry about blankets since our outside temps are close to the water temps right now, although later in the summer or winter seasons that would be an excellent idea. I'll go look for battery powered air pumps tomorrow.

I already own an inverter, but my car engine has to be running for it to power anything...and if I left my car running when I wasn't in it, around here I would no longer have a car! However, it too was a good thought. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
peter hardman said:
Hi PortiaD.
I had a day without power happen to me and asked the same question, this is what answers and suggestions I got... http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... highlight=
Thank you, Peter, that was very helpful. I've ordered battery air pumps, hopefully they will arrive in time but if not I won't be as worried. I think not feeding before the outage and a water change in the middle should suffice.

One thing I've never understood though, as people were talking about blowing into the tank and blowing into bags of fish to "add oxygen"...When people blow into a plastic bag and seal it aren't they only adding carbon dioxide? I can see other benefits to blowing into the tank, as it would disturb the surface tension but so would any number of other activities.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi PortiaD. :thumb:

The good thing going for you is that you know when the power outage is going to be and you can prepare things to get through.

You may have already sorted out these questions and suggestions below but no harm in asking.

How you are going to heat the water when you do your water change on these days.

What are you going to do with your filter media?
After 8 hours or so with no water movement your BB will start to die off and be unusable.
If you can get your filter media and put it in a bucket full of tank water and place an air stone (with one of your battery air pumps) at the bottom to circulate the water around it, no need to heat it if your outside temperature is as you say.

Good idea not to feed for day or two before.

LOL. You are correct, blowing into a bag full of fish or your tank isn’t the smartest thing to do, as you say it is only adding carbon dioxide. I do hope some people were only joking with this comment...

Good luck, hope all goes well for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts