Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a strategy on how to prepare a power outage so your fish survive? I know I would need UPS like I do for my computers. Of course in some cases a heater would be needed. I suppose that would drain the UPS fairly quickly. Other than a heater, would an air stone or powerhead be enough? I wonder how long a filter would run on a UPS?

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Here where I am at in Michigan we are on a grid that for some reason seems to go out at least a few times per year. No idea why because we are in a nice neighborhood, but the grid must just be old because if the wind kicks up to about 40mph you have to keep your fingers crossed the power stays on. A battery power air stone will help but if the power stays out too long the temps can fall and that isn't good in the winter. I finally got tired of dealing with it and went out about 4 yrs ago and bought a 2000w gas generator just for my tanks. You can get a generator that size for a pretty affordable price, I paid about $300 for mine new but you could even find them cheaper used on CL and such. IMO a generator is a must have if you have numerous tanks .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts