Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an aquaclear 3000 power head and just today while i was at work my Chinese algae eater got sucked into the power head and sadly he died but i guess he was too big and he got jammed, my question is.
1) What can i make so that fish don't get sucked in again?

2) Why would my algae eater be that high up in my tank?

3) Is my power head too strong?

·
Registered
46 Posts
He may have been dead first, then floated up to the power head.

Can you put a sponge filter over the intake to prevent fish intake, and get extra filtration in the process?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He was one of my very first fish very healthy...
he never faught with anyone nor were his fins or anything tore up..
so i don't think he just died...
I don't know I will try it out... but it sucks water in from the bottom.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
On my old powerheads I would just get a peice of the aqua clear foam (70 Size) and by hand spin a spade bit for boring wood to make the right size hole. Then you could just slip it over the intake. Once it was running the suction on the intake would help to hold it on if you dont have much of a lip to slip it over. Usually tho they come with that multi sized piece to fit all diff size pickup tubes for UGF's and thats all i ever used.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Honestly, fish--just like people--can often die mysteriously, suddenly, and for no reason. If you had the powerhead in the tank for a while before this then i'd probably think it wasn't the power head that got him, but like Jimring suggested, he got sucked in once he went off to the aquarium in the sky.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No i recently put the powerhead in on saturday night...
i was thinking if i could cut a net up and put it around the intake?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put one of those filter intake protect sponges, that is for the filter intake tube but i cut a piece and put it on the intake for the power head works great, just an eye sore.

·
Registered
7 Posts
*** seen discus get stuck to powerheads before and due to their laterally compressed bodies more of their body is in contact with the intake which makes for a stronger suction on the fish, any healthy fish should be able to dislodge themself from an intake much like my discus did...especially a siamese algae eater since its used to currents and is built for swimming...I mean listen to whoever you want to, but i agree with the people who are saying the fish died before it got stuck to the powerhead. *** never seen a healthy fish simply get stuck onto one and not free itself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts