Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The power went out for two hours last night. Everything was fine but got me? thinking about a longer outage. I have a 55g with 16 fish (2-3") and a 3" bristlenose pleco I run one heater, two cascade 1000 canisters and an air pump. What kind of time frame am I looking for a power outage to affect the fish? And what size compressor will run those items?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I just keep a couple of cheap battery powered air pumps on hand for my crowed tanks for those situations. They run on 2 "D" batteries and run for quite a while; I have run them for 24+ hours on fresh batteries. As long as the water circulates it will oxygenate. For my less crowded tanks I don't do anything and they are fine for 24+ hours. As far as the heaters, if it's winter and the water temp starts to drop you may look into a small generator that can run your tanks; or a large one that will run your entire house.

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
Everyone's situation is a bit different either with amount of equipment or number of tanks + duration of the outage and IF you want to run any household items such a refrigerator, furnace, lights, etc. There are some older topics on the forum, try searching for battery backup and/or generator for some suggestions as there are quite a few topics.

·
Registered
212 Posts
A sealed canister will preserve bacteria for at least 24hrs. There is enough dissolved oxygen in the unit to keep a viable colony. I have read that even 48 hours is possible. I claim the 24hrs from personal experience.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Deeda said:
There are some older topics on the forum, try searching for battery backup and/or generator for some suggestions as there are quite a few topics.
I went through a few of those back in the winter. It was so dizzying that I completely lost interest in the idea. lol

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
I try to restart filters within 12 hours (overnight). I have a generator for the fish among other things (water, refrigeration, heat) and during a multiple day outage I run them for an hour or two each am, noon, pm and evening.

I've had bacteria survive 24 hours in the past.

If it will go longer than that and I have no generator, I will take the media out of the filter and place it in trays or loose in the tank.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Living in the Cayman Islands I wouldn't dream of being without a generator for lights, basic appliances (Xbox), 180gal & 450 gal tanks. I have a 7.5kw gasoline and a backup 6kw diesel generator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts