Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so as i get closer and closer to setting up i want to turn my thoughts to my stocking list....
reminder this will be a 72 gallon bow front tank. with arragonite and crushed coral substrate to help buffer the water.. i will be using a DIY wet/dry sump and at this point the back ground will either remain black or i will be getting a foam insert background ( not a fan of cement)

i would like to have a great deal of activity (not a ton of aggression if i can avaoid it by stocking properly) and color as well..in particular blue, yellow, maybe some red or orange.... and ofcourse i want Lake Malawi fish.....

here is a tentative stocking list please comment and suggest changes or additions... nothing is final and i am here to learn....

Yellow Labs x~ 6

Desamoni x ~6

blue colbolts (Pseudotropheus zebra) x ~6

thats 18 fish that get to be between 3 and 6 inches as adults.... so as for filtration i am a bit over stocked (hypothetically of course) but this would cut some of the aggression issues.... now i know i have 2 blues here but... i may trim out the desamoni (i really like them but i have a breeder semi local for the blue cobalts and i can get 10 for $25)

ok folks let the ideas flow................ :popcorn:

·
Registered
485 Posts
What's the length of the tank? I agree on trimming out the demasoni, it's better you do it now - before they do it themselves for you. :lol:

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm not sure if you stock it the same as a standard 55g 4' rectangle, but if it's the same you can keep up to 3 groups 1m/4f.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
You'll need way more demasoni for that stocking. Demasonis need to be in groups of at least 12. You'll want to start with as many as 20 juvies in order to account for the need to rehome fish that are exiled from the colony and still end up with at least 12 with enough females.

Otherwise, your stocking seems very appropriate for that size tank. Consider, if you just do labs and dems, that can be a very stunning tank, without the need for a 3rd species.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its got a bit more room in the front of it... and its a bit taller....

well this is a good start thank you can not wait for more input....

·
Registered
485 Posts
For a 2 species tank,you could go with :yellow labs & blue cobalts or labs & cyno sp. haras would look nice. For 3 species, maybe something like : labs, rusties & one of the cyno. afra ? I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions.
I would avoid kenyi, bumblebees & auratus( & most mel.) You could also throw red zebras(orange) into the mix, but they're well known to crossbreed with labs; if you're not going to let any fry leave your tank. Another popular species is Ps.Saulosi, with these it's like getting 2 for 1; nice yellow females & blue barred males. Lots of combos, so it's good that you're researching!

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Agree with the 12+ Demasoni and Labs, no room for a 3rd species.
Or, you could go with 1m:4 or 5female Cobalts, same for Labs and perhaps Rusties.
Or, swap the Cobalts for Socolofi, maybe albinos if that's your thing.
Swap Labs for Red Zebras if u want orange/red in the tank with Cobalts and Rusties.
If you don't care about hybrid fry and won't be selling/trading fry, u can have Labs, Red Zebra (they'll crossbreed) and a third, maybe Afra/Socolofi/Cobalt for blue.
Anyway, stocking remains the same for a 4 foot bowfront as it does for a 4 foot rectangular tank. Floor space is key, height, not so much.

Edit: Great minds think alike KyBoy

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok so if i stay with labs and cobalts i should do..................5-7 of them and 5-7 labs? and let it rock?.... but lean away from a third....hmmmm as for the fry i may try to trade them out or sell them very cheep but i am not trying to get into breading full time and make money LOL.... tried that once i am a bit isolated in my area and moving live stock can get tough....

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
You can add a third species but not Demasoni, because they require large numbers.
So, you can do Labs, Cobalts and a 3rd, or just Labs and Demasoni.
Actually, you could do 4 species as long as you don't have anything overly large such as Acei and stick to 1m:4f.
Take a look at the cookie cutter setups if you haven't already.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
I would stock it like a 55G rectangle and have no problem with 12-15 demasoni, 5 cobalts and 5 labs.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
DJRansome said:
I would stock it like a 55G rectangle and have no problem with 12-15 demasoni, 5 cobalts and 5 labs.
Agree

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
GTZ said:
You can add a third species but not Demasoni, because they require large numbers.
So, you can do Labs, Cobalts and a 3rd, or just Labs and Demasoni.
Actually, you could do 4 species as long as you don't have anything overly large such as Acei and stick to 1m:4f.
Take a look at the cookie cutter setups if you haven't already.
should i focus on the 55 stocking or the 75 as my tank is close in gallon size? i know the foot print is close to either....

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
55G because the footprint matters to stocking, not the gallons. The critical factor is the amount of substrate space each male can claim as his own territory.

The bowfront has a few extra gallons because of (a) height and (b) the crescent of additional space created by the bowed-out front. But neither provide a nice square foot of continuous space on the substrate for a male to claim as his own.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so for those not reading the other thread on my build...
i have the list sorted as i just found the Dems at a really good price from a breeder... here is the final list that i am starting to get....

10-12 demasoni
10 labs

this will be a great high contrast color tank and with the black background along with the 10000k and actinic lighting every one will stand out in amazing ways...

my mind goes into a conversation with one of my kids (man they think fast) leaving this stock list is great and my base plan but we were wondering if it would be possible to add a fish that hangs out in the upper reaches of the tank like a few peacocks perse (its not a planed thing just an idea we are tossing around) this way i have the Mbuna hanging out at the bottom and in around the rock work and then a bit of red up and around the higher parts of the tank... would this be even possible? again just trying to answer my kids question with some sensible answers from those who know

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Careful with 10K+Actinic on the labs, they will be greenish.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
oh really!?!?!?! i did not know that i have the fixtures left over from my salt tank i got rid of.. what spectrun would you suggest for best "pop" of colors?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
thank you... as of the moment i am going to focus on getting the live stock and then slowly either trade out the bulbs or buy them over time.... i am glad you said something as everything i read said that the ones i had were good to go so i never asked.,....

1 - 20 of 42 Posts