Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating getting tropheus for a 36" tall tank. I was wondering if they would use the whole height of the tank or do they stay on the lower half of the tank. Any input would be great. :thumb:

·
Registered
1 Posts
It will depend upon what you put in the tank and what shape it is. Is it a rectangle? Hex tanks will work better. Also the higher the rock the higher the trophs will go. It will also depend on how many tropheus you put in.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Are your arms over 36" long? :wink: General tank maintainance can be a bit of a pain if you can not reach stuff.
They sure used evey inch of 24" tall tanks. And the few 30" tall I have seen them in.
Footprint though is prob more important for Tropheus than depth.

All the best James

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea its rectangle 68"x19"x36". I have a thread in the tank set up asking question on stocking options, and tropheus was what one person suggested. I think they are interesting but not sure if I want them or go with discus as they will fill in the tank a bit more. hmm decisions decisions....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am leaning more and more in favor of taller tanks for tropheus. Two to three males will establish territories among the rocks on the bottom. While males are rarely tolerant of other fish in their territory they will often allow fish to swim above them. This means the females and sub dominant males could swim the length of the tank vs. the small areas between territories held by dominant males.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.