Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short, cichlids mated, cat fish was probably eating the fry, moved them to my other tank (same water and everything) So I have seven trewavasae, 5 fry in a fry container, and the two OBs. My male OB has been acting a little weird the past month, putting his face by the heater and enjoying his tree-stump cave, when he usually just swims around everywhere. He also started to just stare at me a lot, about a week ago I moved him and the female to my spare 10g tank just to see if they would possibly breed more. Over the week his appetite was getting smaller and smaller and it seemed like he has having a harder time to breathe. Unfortunately when I woke up this morning, he had passed. The female hasn't been acting too different, but she decided to take over his cave. She has been eating fine, but I'm still kind of concerned as to if it was an illness, or parasite. I did notice when he died that he was laying on top of a suction cup that was holding the heater in place, my guess is there was a chance he got startled and rammed into it and knocked it off, as one side of his face was peeled when I found him laying on it. (I've had my big pleco get startled and ram into the side of a cave once I turned the light on before) I have noticed for a little over a week that she has a few scales that look possible folded, and possibly a little bit of white on the outside of her eye? The fry are doing fine so far though. The water when I transferred was the exact same as my bigger tank, the little tank previously had a pleco, algae eater, and a couple other little guys in it. The water all tested fine, and kept between 79-82º. I checked and haven't noticed anything abnormal from my other cichlids from the original tank, just those two. I wanted to make sure she was okay before I moved her back. (sorry, my camera sucks)

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add, they've been on the same diet since like December, haven't had the female quite as long though. The only thing I really changed out of their two different cichlid pellet / sticks, is I added bloodworms about two weeks ago.
It also wouldn't let me upload a video, so I threw it on youtube. It also looks like there are damaged scales above the right side of her nose, and at like 9 seconds in the video, you can kind of see almost like a flake on the left side of her nose.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts