Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new to the forum but need help identifying problems with two of my fish. I have an 55 gallon tank currently with 17 fish, 5 of which i purchased today to cut down on aggression (male Auratus who is a bully). Anyways I have what i believe to be a female Peacock, as well as a female Red Zebra that have chewed up tails and damaged fins, the Red Zebra i also believe gave birth two the two babies I have in my tank, which at this point have grown and are well adjusted so I no longer think shes protecting them. However since birth has acted rather strange and went from being a fairly active fish to just staying in one of the top corners of my tank. So I'm trying to figure out the source of the weird behavior as well as the damaged fins and tail. Both fish eat normally like all the other fish and the peacock swims around and chases fish and acts pretty normal. As far as fin and tail rot no other fish in my tank are displaying any sign of fin or tail damage, odd behavior, or really anything out of the normal. Like i said the Male Auratus is pretty large and is extremely territorial and bullies any fish that happens to bother him, he also randomly will go after a fish but seems to target the F. Red zebra the most followed by the peacock so I'm wondering if the cause for odd behavior and fin/tail damage is just him going after them. Most of my fish I'm pretty sure are males that I have hand picked or were picked at the discretion of a privately owned fish store owner, so I'm wondering if the concentrated aggression towards them is caused by them being the only females in the tank. Also like i said today i went and talked to my fish guy and explained my problem and he said that the only thing i can try is to stock the tank more as much as up to 18 to 20 fish, so i purchased two Peacocks, a large Tropheus, as well as two fish i cant remember the names of but he assured me they would be fine tank mates. So I'm hoping it cuts down on the aggression, but I wanted to post this as well as pictures to try to help identify the problem as I'm fairly new to Cichlids.

55 gal - Magniflow 360, Whisper 40.
Uv Sterilizer
Sand Substrate

Hikari Sinking Cichlid gold mini pellet

Ph: 8.2

2 M. peacocks
1 F. peacock
2 M. red zebra (juvenile)
1 F. red zebra
1 bumble bee
1 Acei
1 M. auratus
1 socolof
1 jewel
1 tropheus
1 johanni
1 demasoni
1 yellow ram
2 unknown same kind.

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Hi and Welcome to C-F!!!

Can you also post a full tank picture?

You will need to remove any females to reduce some of the aggression problems though I think you are over stocked with fish.

The damaged fins you are seeing could be due to aggression though it may also be water quality problems. Can you post your test results for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

How long has this tank been set up?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have to pick up some test strips tomorrow as the guy was out of them today and I used up the last of them I had. That's first on the agenda tomorrow. As far as removing the females, I have a guy who would take them but only if they're not sick I'm sure, and since I don't have a quarantine take I don't really know what to do if they are other then treat them in the tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tanks been set up for about a year now. However my old filter stopped working so I hadda buy a new one about a month ago.

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
Thanks for the pics!!

I don't see any illness from your pics. If you could get the liquid test kit instead of strips, I think you will be better served with more accurate results.

Were you able to use any mature media from the old filter for the new filter?

What is your normal water change schedule and how much water do you change at one time?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up running a water sample up to my fish guy and he tested it for me. My ammonia and my nitride levels are perfect, my nitrate levels are high though around the 30/40 range so he suggested a 20-25 gal water change. I usually put around 10 gals in a week dude to evaporation, and then do a another 10 gal water change bi weekly so 20 gals every other week.

·
Super Moderator
1,856 Posts
I would suggest you increase your weekly water changes to 50% with the number of fish you have in that tank to help keep the nitrate level as low as possible.

Hopefully the ammonia and nitrite were at zero. :-?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts