Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently got 5 new cichlids 2 weeks ago, i've had quite a few issues with them since getting them. I just noticed little scrapes on this guys head and i've been so focused on the other fish so i'm not sure if they've been there the whole time or if they are new.I have never dealt with hole in the head, so I'm not quite sure if that's what this is or if he just scraped himself up. The only fish that has this is my little dark grey guy. I tried getting the best pictures I could but he's a fast little guy and doesn't like the phone by the tank. I'd appreciate any advice!
I have a 55 gal tank with 8 cichlids and 2 mystery snails in it at the moment.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
The grey fish is not dominant and is probably getting beat up by the other fish. They are aggressive. What are the dimensions of the tank and what is your stock list? Include numbers, species and whether they are male or female.

I believe HIH is actual pinholes rather than scrapes, but I hear about it more in connection with new world cichlids.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DJRansome said:
The grey fish is not dominant and is probably getting beat up by the other fish. They are aggressive. What are the dimensions of the tank and what is your stock list? Include numbers, species and whether they are male or female.

I believe HIH is actual pinholes rather than scrapes, but I hear about it more in connection with new world cichlids.
It's a 55 gal 12x47.75x18.5 I have 8 african cichlids, 2 peacocks and a peacock hybrid, 1 hap, and 4 mbunas (the guy at the store told me they were all mbunas and peacocks and said they would do good together, which i know better now) I'm pretty sure the only males in my tank are a bumblebee, a socolofi, and a fryeri hybrid The one with the scrapes doesn't have any nipped fins or anything and I haven't noticed any other fish going after him so that's why I wasn't sure why the scrapes were there. I did look back on pictures when i got him and they seem to have been there before i brought him home. I just happened to go through ich and internal parasites since getting these guys so I've been overthinking everything since!

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
8 cichlids is not enough to manage aggression in a 48x12 tank. On the other hand, the mbuna (which include bumblebee and auratus per your Unidentified Species post) are likely too aggressive for your haps and peacocks. Also when you stock a tank involving Malawi and both genders to manage aggression, you would choose smaller, less aggressive species and think along the lines of three species with five of each.

I'd skip the auratus and bumblee in a 48x12. Maybe skip the mbuna and go with haps and peacocks?

The fryeri hybrid is a hap as well.

You need to remove either the aggressive species or the timid species, and add females of whatever species remain to get the tank overstocked enough to manage aggression.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
8 cichlids is not enough to manage aggression in a 48x12 tank. On the other hand, the mbuna (which include bumblebee and auratus per your Unidentified Species post) are likely too aggressive for your haps and peacocks. Also when you stock a tank involving Malawi and both genders to manage aggression, you would choose smaller, less aggressive species and think along the lines of three species with five of each.

I'd skip the auratus and bumblee in a 48x12. Maybe skip the mbuna and go with haps and peacocks?

The fryeri hybrid is a hap as well.

You need to remove either the aggressive species or the timid species, and add females of whatever species remain to get the tank overstocked enough to manage aggression.
I appreciate the advice. I've had the bumblebee, auratus, and socolofi for about a year and a half and just recently got the other guys. I'm planning to get more this weekend i just didn't want to overwhelm my fish with adding too many at a time since they just got moved into this tank about 3 weeks ago. Should I see if a fish store could take my peacocks and haps? Or should I wait it out for a little longer and see if they're still doing good together? My older three are pretty peaceful and seem to get along with the new fish.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Or since my mbunas aren't really aggressive, would I be okay with just adding more peacocks and haps so that they're more dominate in the tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
They do not become dominant because there are a lot of them.

When you keep an aggressive fish like auratus they do better in a 72" tank with one male and seven or more females.

IMO the 48x12 tank is too small for aggressive mbuna like crabro and if you plan to keep the same tank I would remove the mbuna and add haps and peacocks of the same species you have.

You also don't want to add fish without testing your ammonia and nitrite since even the last addition of fish can create a mini cycle and toxins in your tank. How many socolofi, auratus and bumblebee? You got the 5 new fish how long ago?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DJRansome said:
They do not become dominant because there are a lot of them.

When you keep an aggressive fish like auratus they do better in a 72" tank with one male and seven or more females.

IMO the 48x12 tank is too small for aggressive mbuna like crabro and if you plan to keep the same tank I would remove the mbuna and add haps and peacocks of the same species you have.

You also don't want to add fish without testing your ammonia and nitrite since even the last addition of fish can create a mini cycle and toxins in your tank. How many socolofi, auratus and bumblebee? You got the 5 new fish how long ago?
I have 1 socolofi (male) 1 auratus (female) and 1 bumblebee (i think it's a male), I got the 5 new fish 2 weeks ago and i've tested my water multiple times and the ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are at 0.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
If your nitrates are at zero, your tank is not cycled. Sometimes you get a zero reading in error when you don't shake the bottle or the test tubes hard enough or long enough according to the directions.

If you more than doubled the bioload 2 weeks ago I would wait another 2 weeks before adding any fish and test again. The toxins can take time to build up after introducing additional ammonia.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts