Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Feather fin got this hole within days of bringing him home i quarantined him right away for fear of a parasite or something. it isnt infected or anything and doesnt seem to bother him but its very slowly getting worse (bigger) tank is healthy gH180 pH 8.5 NO2 .5ppm NO3 80ppm. algae waffer every other night.

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Hi

it looks like a bacterial or possible fungus infection.

That's good that you q-d him. Turn the heat down to 76' and add aquarium salt at the rate of 1 tablespoon per five gallons. (It's not a cure all by itself but it may help slow the spread by preventing bacteria from adhering to the fish's skin. Improving water movement in the tank will also help in this regard)
Sometimes these things clear up just with good water conditions so that's one option to you, just keep doing what you're doing and see if the hole stops spreading and the fish improves.
But if it's something like Columnaris, a bacterial disease, then you may need to treat it and the sooner the better as it can get to the point where meds will not be effective. It's a difficult call.

Choices for meds:
Maracyn and Maracyntwo, used concurently
Furan 2
Kanamycin

Additionally I would feed sparingly until the fish is recovered.

Robin

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Just saw this: your nitrate is 80ppm??
And it looks like you've got nitrite, too?

Before you do anything eles:
siphon the gravel and do a 30% partial water change. Wait 6-8 hours and do it again.

Retest and see if it's gone down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i had read also that i should turn up the temp to 85+ to kill the possible parasite, but it would make since to turn it down if its bacterial. but dont you think the damage would look a little nastier if it was bacterial? the wound is very clean. just wondering, first time dealing with this sort of thing. also is it possible that it is in fact healed and it just looks like its getting bigger because the fish is growing?

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Is there anything besides the hole that would make you think it's parasites? Is the fish flashing excessively? Hanging out in a strong current? Gasping?
From the picture--just the hole--it does NOT look like any sort of parasite. So I would not treat for parasites.

A hole that is getting noticeably bigger within a relatively short time period wouldn't be a matter of perception--the fish growing.
Is that white fuzzy growth inside the hole? Or just a place where the skin has rubbed off?

At the very least I would focus on water quality--fish can often heal themselves if they have perfect water conditions, but I would not turn up the heat. The salt, (sodium chloride) and increased water movement are also very moderate treatments that could help turn things around. If you use salt be sure to dissolve it first and add it gradually.

Robin

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the help by the way. no he hasnt been flashing, gasping, or staying in the current. he normally just hangs out under the heater, which was set at 85 before i heard from you, and scurries about at night. i did put the heat at 76 and added salt like you said. im going to try and get a better picture of the hole, the white flesh is very reflective so its hard to see inside. and i havent noticed any fuzzieness just fleshy inner workings of the head i assume. i'll work on that pic so we can both see.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts