Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
I recenlty made the decicion and started after two years to set up my 180L tank. I choosed to go with african cichlids, so my set up is white sand and lots of granite rocks along with some anubias and valisneria plants.
I cycled my tank with Microbacter 7 from Brightwell, was around 4 weeks and got those water parameters:
Nh3: 0
N02: 0
N03: ~80ppm
PH: 7.7
KH: 7
GH: 10
Water temp 26C°
So after i did two water changes i got my N03 to ~25 ppm. My next step was to add fish ofcourse, i got 7 yellow labs and started my journey. Unfortunately the day after i realized that one of the fish was scratching its gills on rocks and sand, i went to my LFS described the symptoms and he told me that its possibly gill flukes, he suggested to treat the whole tank with prazin. I got the med and went home ready to do a water change before i start the treatment, for a while i observed all the fish and nobody was scratching so i skipped the treatment and give some time to check how it goes. Next morning i checked the tank and almost all fish was flashing, scratching and shaking their heads. I desided to start the treatment for 4 days and after that do a 50% WC. The 1st day of treatment with a full dose scratching has gone, 2nd day with half dose none of the fish was scratching, 3rd day repeated the half dose and again no fish was scratching but some looked exhausted and not eating, 4th day i added nothing 5th day i did 50% WC. After the 5th day all my fish was exhausted from the treatment especialy the smallest one which was hiding, swimming with difficulty and staying at the bottom, 6th day and the scratching was back some fish wasnt eating properly and one of them become skinnier and its poop was white string. I went again to the LFS for advice and he told me to do nothing and give the fish sometime. After all this week with the treatment and the diseased fish i was dissapointed and feel sad about the fish, my best choice was to get a 70L tank start it all new with instant bacteria and transfer the fish there after a salt bath, im checking my ammonia and nitrites everyday to avoid spikes. I think its easier to manage any treatment and this tank and keep it cleaner as it has no substrate and hardscaping. Next i did a big water change on my main tank with non dechlorinated tap water and cleaned the sand, removed the rocks to clean them aswell as they got some diatom.
My question is what should i do from now on with the fish on the treatment tank and what should i do with my fishless main tank to treat for parasites and maintain the good bacteria if the non dechlorinated water didnt killed them yet.
Any help and advice would be much appriciated.
Thnx in advance
Dimitris

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone can help?
Im treating the fish in QT with API General cure im on 2nd dose and some fish still scratch and shaking heads.

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
I am not a fan of bottled bacteria...it may be bothering your fish.

Also salt baths can be irritating.

I'm not convinced you ever had parasites. But since the problem seems better I would just move the fish back to the main tank.

If you think there might be parasites in the main tank and you believe the med cured them in the small tank...treat the empty main tank with the med and THEN put the fish back.

Keep your nitrates under 20ppm and ammonia=0 and nitrite=0. Any readings on these tests can irritate your fish and contribute to flashing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
I am not a fan of bottled bacteria...it may be bothering your fish.

Also salt baths can be irritating.

I'm not convinced you ever had parasites. But since the problem seems better I would just move the fish back to the main tank.

If you think there might be parasites in the main tank and you believe the med cured them in the small tank...treat the empty main tank with the med and THEN put the fish back.

Keep your nitrates under 20ppm and ammonia=0 and nitrite=0. Any readings on these tests can irritate your fish and contribute to flashing.
Thank you for your reply. Well 4th day with API general cure and none of the fish scratching or head shaking they seem more calm and swim normally, even the smallest one is joining the school and stopped hiding. Everyday i clean the bottom from waste, some poop were thin with something like a cyst attached and some thick and white except the regular ones coloured red. I will continue with the med for a week at least just in case of any eggs and im thinking to bleach my main tank. any other suggestions? for how long should i run general cure if it was flukes?

·
Super Moderator
40,904 Posts
I have no experience with flukes and don't know anyone who has had them. You could check with the manufacturer.

If you bleach your tank you will destroy the beneficial bacteria and have to use the bottled bacteria and have some levels of irritating toxins all over again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts