Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone my friend is selling his standard 4 foot 75 gallon fish tank with a built in sump. He wants to know if I'm interested in it, but I would really like to make it into a discus tank. First I have a few questions...

1) How many discus could I fit in this size tank, I know they like height more than length, so would this limit how many I could have?

2) I have seen a lot of plants and other things in some discus tanks on this and other sites. What kind of plants go best and look the best in discus tanks. Also do I need a special light for these plants?

3) What other types of fish could I get along with the discus in this size tank? I'm not a huge fan of the normal community fish like tetras and stuff, so maybe rams or something? I have no knowledge of American cichlids haha

4) Maybe show me some pics of a discus set up you have that has been successful for you.

5) What hardness and pH do they like? And I think they like higher temps is that right?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm thinking of getting them a fry and growing them out, and I was a little worried about the plants so I guess I'll just cross those off the list haha. And you think just the 8 will be good? All of the same species as well? And I have Africans and they have specific male/female ratios, same with discus or different?

I wanted to get maybe a bushynose pleco along with some corys and maybe something else? Or would you recommend just the discus?

Thanks for the help so far! :D

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another question, would I just get 8 of the same discus, or should i get half one species, half another. Or would they crossbreed. Also Number6 maybe send me a PM as to where you get ur discus at such a cheap price, cuz my LFS has some crappy ones for 65 bucks haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.