Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What are your nitrate readings? (That's a very minimal water change amount - I would increase it to 30% weekly...)

What is the full stock list on the tank? How big are the fish?

Your stock list sounds suspect as far as dietary and temperament needs go, so this may be the stressor in your tank, causing the problems. Most illnesses are brought on by stress, especially bloat. Frontosa are from Lake Tanganyika, not Lake Malawi, and have different needs and dispositions.

Do you have adequate filtration on the tank? How many gphs are you running through the filtration?

How long since the fish died?

Any reclusive behaviour?

How do they look? Good colour? Clamped fins?

Kim

Good surface movement?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Unless this is a heavily planted tank, it's impossible to have a zero nitrate reading, so the test results are suspect.

Are you using dip strips, or liquid reagent test kits? How long have they been open?

How about the ph test?

What is your ph straight from the tap?

The crushed coral and additional coral should be raising your ph. It may not be necessary, and the coral itself isn't really applicable to their natural habitat, if that is why you are using it.

How often do you clean your filter? That's a good filter, but with your minimal water changes, I would want to make sure it was running in tip top shape all the time, and be very very careful not to overfeed.

Right now, I'm not convinced they have bloat. I would try doing some frequent water changes over the next few days of about 30%, and check the filter out good.

Did you remove the dead fish?

Kim

1 - 2 of 2 Posts