Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get some people's opinions on treating the whole main tank vs. just trying to quarantine and treat any fish that starts to show symptoms. Kind of a long story, but went out of town for a week for work with someone else "taking care of them" and it seems like I'm losing fish left and right now and I'm almost positive that it's due to Bloat. I've been removing any fish I notice showing the symptoms and treating in a separate quarantine tank with Clout, but it seems like another one gets sick right after the last. I've got a lot of seemingly very healthy fish in the main tank right now and am reluctant to treat the main tank due to that, especially since all I have had available to treat with is Clout which is very strong and can end up hurting more than helping, but it seems to be getting out of control. I check the water very often to ensure that all the water parameters are good and that it's not due to that and I feed a very quality food (NLS Cichlid 1mm pellets). I am getting some Pimafix and Melafix today after work that I feel more comfortable giving to all the fish, but I was kind of curious if anyone has had any success treating the main tank with a strong treatment like Clout when you've still got seemingly healthy fish in it or if that's just something to avoid at all costs? Also maybe any advice on other less harmful treatments that could be used on the healthy fish?

Anyway, I know that there's probably a lot of details that I'm leaving out (type of fish, exact water parameters, tank setup, etc) about my particular case that might be helpful in making a diagnosis, but like I said, I'm pretty positive it's bloat so I'm less worried about help diagnosing the problem and more worried about people's opinions on treatment. Oh, but the only other notable thing that I can think of that might affect the decision to treat the main tank is that all these fish are very young (only around 1-2 inches). Any advice or sharing personal experiences is very appreciated.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Normally what you'd want to do is treat fish that aren't eating in a quarantine tank with waterborne meds and treat all others with medicated food, whether it's Jungle medicated food or metronidazole soaked food.
For all tanks, perform a 30-40% water change, vacuum, remove any chemical filtration.

So, for the fish that are eating, add 2 tablespoons of epsom salt per 10 gallons, premixed and added gradually over a period of 5-6 hours. Begin feeding medicated food, feed Jungle as per instructions for at least a week. With metronidazole powder, in a disposable cup, dissolve 150mg of metronidazole in a tablespoon of tank water. Then add food pellets appropriate to the number of fish in the tank. After the pellets have soaked for a few minutes, pour all of the contents of the cup into the tank. Feed the fish this mixture for at least a week.

In the quarantine tank, again add epsom salt, 2 tablespoons per 10 gallons, premixed and added gradually over 5-6 hours. You can add meds while in the process of adding epsom.
If dosing Clout, using a disposable cup, dissolve in some tank water one tablet of Clout per 10 gallons (round up if necessary). Pour the mixture into the tank just a little bit at a time, perhaps taking a half hour to administer a complete dosage -- this drug can be very strong and so it is important to follow this guideline so as not to shock your already stressed fish. Repeat the same dosage for the next two days, again performing a 30-40% water change beforehand. Daily water changes are essential for Clout's maximum effectiveness. The water changes also facilitate the removal of the old, disabled chemicals. Three days of treatment should be sufficient, if the inflammation is not too severe, otherwise treat for a full five days.
If after five days, you still don't notice a change, begin the treatment again after a two day hiatus.

If treating with metronidazole, add epsom salt in the manner described above, add 250mg metronidazole for every 10 gallons daily for 5-10 days with each dosage preceded by a 30-40% water change. If after 5 treatments you’ve noticed an improvement as well as a bowel movement, attempt feeding metro treated food, otherwise, wait 24 hours and begin treatment again, starting with a 30% water change. Remove any uneaten food after 5-10 minutes. If eating and bowel movements return to normal, continue the metro treated food for a further 3 days with water changes before each feeding.

Once you have concluded the treatment, gradually return the tank to normal salinity over a period of 5-6 hours via small partial water changes until approximately 100% of water has been changed and resume normal filtration.
Pimafix/Melafix aren't applicable for treating bloat.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your very insightful post GTZ. I'm getting the meds to treat their food asap now and am hoping that I'll have at least a few survivors left in my tank after this is all said and done. I appreciate the great advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts