Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 40Gal tank currently houses 15 Demasoni and 6 Yellow Labs (inc several juvies of each)
I shall be upgrading the tank to a 60Gal tank soon as it's being relocated to another room where there is more space.
Out of the below fish, which could I add? Also could I add more than one species?

Metriaclims Callainos, Psuedotropheus Acei, Metriaclima Estherae and Red Top Kimpuna.

Ta

·
Registered
44 Posts
Of the fish you mentioned I think the Acei would fit and look the best. Maybe someone else will chime in with more info but that is what I would go with.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I would add a trio or foursome of the M. callainos. I like their colouring better than acei, and it would be a nice contrast against the fish you already have. You will only want one male Cobalt, though!

Kim

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
What are the dimensions of the 60G tank?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mine is 48x13x24. I assumed his was the same but there may be another version out there.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
cichlidaholic said:
I would add a trio or foursome of the M. callainos. I like their colouring better than acei, and it would be a nice contrast against the fish you already have. You will only want one male Cobalt, though!

Kim
wont they breed with the yellow labs kim?

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Yellow labs look VERY different than callainos. I can't imagine them breeding unless they had terrible M/F ratios. I agree with Kim, nice quality callainos are beautiful. Acei are nice, but I don't think they'd show up incredibly well against the dark demasoni.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I've kept callainos and Yellow labs together for years without any problems.

Zebras are the worse for crossbreeding, a look in the unidentified section will prove that, but if kept in proper male/female ratios, all risks are reduced.

Any two mouthbrooders can crossbreed, but the goal is to house those together that look nothing like each other, and watch your male/female ratios for each species group.

Kim

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
i know the rules kim :) i just figured because callainos was 1 a zebra and 2 very close to the red zebra i figured they would crossbreed with labs

so, do you think i can keep Metriaclima callainos and Metriaclima estherae (Blue) together without crossbreeding?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
TheeMon said:
so, do you think i can keep Metriaclima callainos and Metriaclima estherae (Blue) together without crossbreeding?
I thought you knew the rules... :wink:

I wouldn't house them together if I had any intentions of distributing fry. (Yes, the estherae could be considered barred, but not enough to make a difference...)

IMO, housing two non barred zebras together is asking for trouble, as is housing two barred zebras together.

I've sucessfully kept zebra long pelvic with Cobalts without any problems. Barred and non barred...The males never even looked at the other females.

How would you expect a female Cobalt to tell a blue estherae male from a Cobalt male when it's difficult enough for us to tell sometimes? :lol:

Kim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts