Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
2,088 Posts
Yes, I've used it vertically. Only challenges are cutting it so the fit is snug enough it does not move, and that if it clogs/slows down flow rate, water can back up. This can be disastrous if you don't engineer for it, but does not have to be.

FWIW - I have a sump with it vertically and one with it horizontally (spanning a chamber). I prefer the horizontal approach but that may be more a function of the sump set up than the foam orientation.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I haven't done it, but I have mattenfilters in quite a few tanks, and Poret in the three canisters I still use. I think it would work great, but I'd advise against getting the finer pore sizes. I'd probably go with 20 PPI, or maybe 10 followed by 20.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nodima said:
Yes, I've used it vertically. Only challenges are cutting it so the fit is snug enough it does not move, and that if it clogs/slows down flow rate, water can back up. This can be disastrous if you don't engineer for it, but does not have to be.

FWIW - I have a sump with it vertically and one with it horizontally (spanning a chamber). I prefer the horizontal approach but that may be more a function of the sump set up than the foam orientation.
Thanks for your feedback. I am designing a new sump and was thinking of using Poret foam. I am thinking of having the water enter into the first chamber and it rises up and overflows over the first baffle into the mechanical chamber and this is where I was debating if I use Poret if to go vertical. It will then flow under the 2nd ball baffle to the bio media and then over into return pump area,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bd79 said:
I haven't done it, but I have mattenfilters in quite a few tanks, and Poret in the three canisters I still use. I think it would work great, but I'd advise against getting the finer pore sizes. I'd probably go with 20 PPI, or maybe 10 followed by 20.
Thanks. Yes I am seriously considering it

·
2,088 Posts
oval291 said:
nodima said:

Thanks for your feedback. I am designing a new sump and was thinking of using Poret foam. I am thinking of having the water enter into the first chamber and it rises up and overflows over the first baffle into the mechanical chamber and this is where I was debating if I use Poret if to go vertical. It will then flow under the 2nd ball baffle to the bio media and then over into return pump area,
I'm a hair confused. When you are talking vertical and horizontal, are you referring to the position of the foam, or the flow of water? Can you provide a drawing of what you are planning for your sump? As a picture is often worth 1000 words.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nodima said:
oval291 said:
nodima said:

I'm a hair confused. When you are talking vertical and horizontal, are you referring to the position of the foam, or the flow of water? Can you provide a drawing of what you are planning for your sump? As a picture is often worth 1000 words.
http://www.swisstropicals.com/wp_site/wp-content/uploads/Sump-layout.pdf

The above link shows the Poret Foam placed vertically in the sump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts