Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have had this Midas Cichlid for a little over a year and a half. Just yesterday, I noticed a white ring around his right eye which must have appeared very suddenly as I hadn't noticed it in the days before that. Actually, I checked my phone and found a picture of him 4 days prior and his eye was completely normal. So this appeared very suddenly in a 4 day time span.
It appears as if the skin was pulled back a bit from the socket leaving a white ring exposed. The other eye is in perfect condition.
I recently (3 days ago) decided to add a huge piece of driftwood...one hypothesis is that he injured himself on the new piece of wood, what do you reckon? Or is it rather an early warning sign of popeye?

The tank is 350 liters.
Water parameters are pretty much constant (18 months) :
- GH: 180 mg/L
- KH: 180 mg/L
- pH: 7.5-8
- NO2: 0-0.5 ppm
- NO3: 20-40 ppm

Here are some pictures, bear in mind he likes to move :p

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,838 Posts
You should not have a reading for nitrite and your nitrate level is a bit high so it could be related to water quality as well as a potential injury.

What is your usual water change amount and frequency?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Deeda said:
You should not have a reading for nitrite and your nitrate level is a bit high so it could be related to water quality as well as a potential injury.

What is your usual water change amount and frequency?
About 15-20% every week.
I also take out the fish muck daily with a hoover.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts