Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi fish nanny,

I use the S grade color quartz in my geo tanks. It is more expensive and harder to find; but, it is worth it to me to be able to get black sand substrate. My geos seem to love the sand and have no problem taking mouthfuls and sifting through it. I do not have experience with the T grade color quarts, but I suspect it would be a bit tougher and possible damaging for the Geos.

I have not used pool filter sand so no comparison.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so how do you vacume around your plants, never used sand before, just small smooth gravel, I don't want to disturb my plants, but want to get the tank clean ???

also, even thought I thought I got it rinsed really well, seems I have some very fine partices, like a fog almost, will that just take time to go away, will it hurt the fish......no one in there yet.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
fish nanny said:
so how do you vacume around your plants, never used sand before, just small smooth gravel, I don't want to disturb my plants, but want to get the tank clean ???

also, even thought I thought I got it rinsed really well, seems I have some very fine partices, like a fog almost, will that just take time to go away, will it hurt the fish......no one in there yet.
What sand did you end up going with ? As far as plants go just pull them out during a water change :-?? unless they are real plants of course. I remove everything, do a thorough vaccuming, scrub the glass & reset the landscape. The "fog" will settle.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
If the sand is well cleaned, there will be no fine particles to settle "within 24 hours or so". My black blasting sand has no fine particles in it to cloud the water, because I cleaned it before use.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks all, GREAT short vac video :thumb: I see I don't actually vac down in the sand LOL, I went with PFS, mine is tan and looks really natural, from Canada a company called Target..........plants are real, so guess just treat them like I do in gravel. I have 2 Aqua Clear 500's and a small powerhead in tank, so lots of water movement.......maybe that is why it is slower to clear. Looks prettty good today, still not crystal clear.........I saw the blasting sand at Home Depot........didn't know if it was too rough..........guess the name blasting threw me. I guess I didn't rinse enough, in the library it is mentioned that PFS doesn't need to be rinsed, so thought I was being smart to do a quick rinse, LOL.........learned from that. Thanks for all the help :))

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
PFS is generally pretty clean compared to most other sands. It would also qualify as blasting sand as the specifications are about the same. Interestingly, The gentleman who did a presentation on loaches at our May meeting uses used PFS, as it is much smoother than new. After five ir six years in a filter, it loses it's sharpness.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have always had cloudiness with PFS, its no big deal and usually is clear the next day. Same tank was setup for two years and no problems what so ever. Unless you spend a great deal of time, I doubt you will get all of the fine particles out during your cleaning.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
what does a 50lb. bag of PFS go for these days?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
frschul said:
TrashmanNYC said:
what does a 50lb. bag of PFS go for these days?
$9.00 per 50 lbs .... where I live ......
My Geos and GymnGeos love it ....
Thanks. I paid $13 today and thought it was a little high. Must be my location.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
fish nanny said:
I use pool filter sand with my geo's. The stuff is great & cheap & dosnt get sucked into your filters. Like someone else said a standard 50lb bag from a poll supply place is around $9.00.

As far as the plants and stuff go, the Geo's will uproot live or plastic plants, so no matter what they will be floating around every week at some point. Personally i like to remove everything but the rocks before vacumming to ensure i get everything up & i think the fish like having a new look each week. Keeps them occupied. Also you should vacuum deep into the sand, helps rid of any gas pockets or dead spots :) especially with earth eaters as poop or food get moved around and covered up by their sand sifting, not everything will be on the top layers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts