Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At one time, build threads were fairly common on the forums. I always enjoyed watching other tank projects progress from start to finish.

In the hope that other CF members might enjoy the same, I am going to use this thread to chronicle the build of our 125-gallon Mbuna tank.

In the past, I have built my own stands out of lumber. This time around, I just didn't want the workload so I ordered 8020 extruded aluminum. The vendor I worked with was great. They did all of the necessary calculations regarding weight allowance, deflection and tolerances. I had my materials 2 weeks from order and had it assembled in an afternoon.

So, here is the starting point of "Pond's Nyasa Malawi".

Rectangle Automotive exterior Gas Aluminium Metal

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I definitely enjoy the build threads, excited to see how this goes! Have your stock list picked out yet?
Thanks!

This will be a fairly gradual build, so stocking will depend largely on what's available once the tank is cycled and ready.

We plan to order from a well-known vendor in San Antonio, TX. Some of the species on our list are Lab Caeruleus (White or Yellow), Maingano, Msobo Magunga, Acei, Rusties, Lab Trewevasae, C. Hara and M. Fainzilberi Maison Reef.

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
I would stick to 5 species that look nothing alike (for example acei or hara mid-blue look alikes, hara and maison reef are both blue barred fish). Maybe choose the white labs so the msobo females look different. Not sure if you will have trouble with the two Metriaclima...a.k.a. maison reef and msobo.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
Whew man.... a custom-built, extruded aluminum stand? Oh wow, this thing already looks killer. Can't wait to see how your build progresses!
Hmmm, the last time I put up one of these build things was way back in..... 2006?
OMG!
A 150XH. And, an Mbuna-themed tank as well ( the only one I've ever had, actually...).
-
I am totally looking forward to seeing how this one you are setting up, comes out. :cool:

Reactions: James Pond 007

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would stick to 5 species that look nothing alike (for example acei or hara mid-blue look alikes, hara and maison reef are both blue barred fish). Maybe choose the white labs so the msobo females look different. Not sure if you will have trouble with the two Metriaclima...a.k.a. maison reef and msobo.
Thanks DJ. I just listed all of the potential possibilities depending on availability. I have no intention of adding all of the listed species or mixing conspecifics. I'll iron out the actual species list once the fishless cycle is complete.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whew man.... a custom-built, extruded aluminum stand? Oh wow, this thing already looks killer. Can't wait to see how your build progresses!
Hmmm, the last time I put up one of these build things was way back in..... 2006?
OMG!
A 150XH. And, an Mbuna-themed tank as well ( the only one I've ever had, actually...).
-
I am totally looking forward to seeing how this one you are setting up, comes out. :cool:
Thanks a lot!

I'm not sure why build threads became extinct here. The saltwater realm seems to be full of them.

The aluminum is awesome to work with and, surprisingly, came in at half the cost of what welded steel quotes came in at, even with shipping across Canada. High lumber prices and the hours involved to build an equivalent frame easily swayed me.

Glad to have you following along too.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One thing I all ways thought why this forum didn’t have the tank build threads will be good to watch the progress of the build looks good quality the stand
In the process of setting up my self maybe will start one also
You should do a build thread too, Paul. I am sure others would enjoy seeing your progress too.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
My goodness....
- Gazes In Wide-Eyed Wonder -
It's like Christmas in October!
An inline electric heater for both canisters? Very nice. The canister filters themselves? Also - very nice!
Yer' looking good! :cool:

Reactions: James Pond 007
1 - 12 of 12 Posts