Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would any Central American cichlids be candidates for a pond all year round? I live in South Carolina, winters are pretty mild, but it does reach below freezing.

I will look into any possibilities for fish being transferred via natural means to other water sources beforehand, so I'm not really looking for advice on that topic.

I was at school today and seen the goldfish in the large pond on campus. The pond is only 4-6 feet deep in the deepest places and 1-3 feet deep in shallower areas. It is kept free of leaves so its pretty clear. Thought it would make an amazing cichlid pond.

Just curious,
Aaron

·
Registered
803 Posts
Some of the cichlids from Uruguay can take temps to the high 50s/low 60s. Other than that Idon't know of any american cichlids that could take much colder temps. You pretty much need some way to keep the pond at least that warm.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:popcorn: I'll be waiting on the answer.

A outdoor gymno tank would be pretty awesome.

·
Registered
697 Posts
ahud said:
:popcorn: I'll be waiting on the answer.

A outdoor gymno tank would be pretty awesome.
You might post this in the SA section. Ed Buress should be able to suggest some species from Uruguay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.