Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up some Polits this weekend from a local cichlid specialty store that was able to order some for me.

As with any Mbuna purchase I would like to have the best chance of picking out a good m:f ratio, does anyone have advice on what to look for in Polits? They are around 1.5-2", according to the store owner.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Tough at that size. They all start off brown. Males start turning the bright blue around 2.5. And like salosi they can change quick. They are almost the size but not yet.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Mine changes colors rapidly. He can be blue one second and solid white the next. Good luck. I would end up with 5 males because that's just my luck.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have a male with 2 females and they r about 2 in right now and my male has already changed color. In fact when i bought them 4 months ago they had already had their color. So i would think u should almost be able to tell as soon as u get them.They r a great fish and very active and fun to watch. Good luck

·
Registered
509 Posts
I've got nothing but muddy brown ones. They look great with my muddy brown rusty cichlids too :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I talked to the owner and he said a few are showing some color (he ordered 12). Ill post some pics when I pic them up this weekend :thumb:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Are Polits ok to go in with Demansoni's and Yellow Labs? Working my way to that stock list and really like the way these look, but hear that they can have an attitude.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Polit does have a rep for an attitude, but also a rep for not coloring up unless he is king of the tank. Which he would not be with demasoni. I have never tried the combination, so the comment is FWIW.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Picked up 6 today. They are all around 2". One is definitely showing male colors, and the rest have remained brown.

also a rep for not coloring up unless he is king of the tank.
I have read this on a couple different sites, but I have also read comments from people who say they have 2-3 colored up males in aggressive tanks. So it could go either way. They have been one of my favorites for a while now so I figured it was worth a try. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
bmweiler09

Is this gonna be species tank for them or will they have tank mates? If they do have mates what are you putting them in with?

·
Registered
261 Posts
My polit is not king of the tank and he has been colored up ever since *** owned him.So i can say from my experience polit does not have to be the the king of the tank to be colored up.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
jaymore1 said:
My polit is not king of the tank and he has been colored up ever since I've owned him.So i can say from my experience polit does not have to be the the king of the tank to be colored up.
Good to know, I hope I have the same outcome. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Thinking I might check into getting some of these if room will allow it. Might just wait alittle bit and see how things work out for you. Do really love the looks of these guys and seem like they would be interesting. Have never seen them around my LFS's so have no idea what a decent price would be. Guess I have some homework to do now. :thumb:

·
Registered
158 Posts
They've been out a while now. Like 12 years so young ones should cost around eight to twelve each. I guess from every ones experiance the looks of these fish depends on the stock or individuals. First time I saw some outside of a book a the guy who owned King Coral in Chicago son had a group of about 12 in a tank in the back by themselves. At least 5 males were colored fully. I got 6 young ones from him and the first male colored at 2 inches the other 2 at 2.5. I always loved there look. One of the reasons I love them is because they took so long to get imported. Now they are all over in the US.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thinking I might check into getting some of these if room will allow it. Might just wait alittle bit and see how things work out for you. Do really love the looks of these guys and seem like they would be interesting. Have never seen them around my LFS's so have no idea what a decent price would be. Guess I have some homework to do now. Thumb
I was a little weary about picking polits in fear that the male would not color up, but I was able to special order them at a store so I couldnt turn it down. :D I picked them up for 8.99 a piece, which was the standard Mbuna price at that store. I will keep this thread updated on how they are doing.

Myrock, what did you have them in a tank with?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
So with my stocking list in my sig do you think I would have enough room to go ahead and get some Polits if I ever came across the opportunity? Not gonna rush out and look for some, but if I do see some someplace I wanna have piece of mind that I will not be messing up anything. Gonna try and trade in the Bumble Bee this week for more Dems or Labs, and was gonna do the same with the peacocks but now I have that one who is holding so I dont know what to do there exactly yet.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts