Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my first cichlid tank i have a 37 gallon tank and did alot of research before i started my tank has been up and running for a couple months now. And it currently holds (in order from largest to smallest) one Aulonocara stuartgranti (Chiloelo) (red shoulder) estimating 4 inches, one melanchromis auratis (whom i just added today) estimating 3.5 inches, a psuedotropheus socofoli 2.75 to 3 inches, and a bumble bee (ddnt feel like typing all the long name anymore) and he is about the same as my socofoli. but now to the point my red shoulder peacock keeps picking on all the fish! i wanted a peacock so bad requested him in my lfs and got him but now he attacks my other fish randomly sometimes he doesnt seem to care but sometimes he is just so brutal. im afraid ill have to take him back to the store but i really dont want to cuz he is very special to me. can you help i thought adding the auratis today would maybe calm him down because i know they tend to be aggressive and figured they would keep his mind off of my other smaller fish. please help!!!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
The Red Shoulder was in the tank first, correct? Out of the peacock species (excluding jakes) the Red Shoulder tends to be one of the more aggressive aulonocaras.
Since he was in there first, he rules the tank.

What are the dimensions of the tank?

The mix of fish you have (in that small of tank) is going to cause problems, regardless. For the time being, re-arrange the tank and turn the lights off/cover the tank. This is just a temporary fix because you're going to have to work on your stock list or get a larger tank.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well the smaller socofoli was the first fish in the tank with a yellow lab but i took him back cuz i cldnt stand for him to get picked on and staying up in the corner. and ill post a pic here in a sec i think its just the same as a 29 just taller.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
now it seems the auratis is picking on everyone i ddnt find out until after acclimation that these fish are very aggressive the lady at the lfs has no idea what shes talking about i asked her to test my water and specifically told her african cichlids and she used a normal range ph and said my ph of 7.0 was a little high because cichlids like more acidic water. and this is the only fish store i have regular access to because living in a very very small town...... not even high speed interneet i have to use a 3g card this store is 10 miles away the next closest is 30-40

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i dont know how to put a picture on from my own files! im sorry but it has a large sized calcium based rock i am having a hiatus of mind here on the exact name two medium cichlid stones, one large cichlid stone, a few face plants, and one of the mopani wood large piece to go on top of the calcium rock to create a sort of cave type thing[/img]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im sorry just can someone help me i cnt want my auratis to try and kill everyone and then idk this tank is my pride and joy lol

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i guess im gonna have to take my auratis back and have no idea what fish to suggest the lfs to get based on all of this i still need help plz! im worrying so much i dnt want my fish to die.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I would take the auratus back. It is one of the most aggressive Malawi cichlids.

In fact...the only Malawi I would keep in a 36" tank (I have one too) is a single species of dwarf, peaceful cichlids like the peacock Aulonocara baenschi or half a dozen yellow labs or 1m:4f Cynotilapia afra. Somthing like that.

I kept a species tank with Aulonocara stuartgranti Maleri for a while but they were really too aggressive for the tank.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Auratus and crabro (bumblebee) are both very, very aggressive fish. As they mature, they'll beat the snot out of everything you put in that tank with them.

I suggest not listening to your LFS anymore for advice (which it seems like you've already decided on - good thinking there!) and researching a bit on the library section of this website. As DJR said, there are few species that will work longterm in a tank that small. Yellow Labs, possibly demasoni (though they might cause a headache), Ps. saulosi, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I agree with the above two posters. No matter how many stones, rocks, or other hiding places you add, there is little chance for lasting peace between the fish you've chosen in this size tank.

If possible I'd either return all fish in your tank or get a 75 gallon (4 foot long) or larger tank to keep them in. Even then I would still rehome the bumblebee and auratus.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.