Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to build a little canopy for my newly purchased 20L from petcos buck a gallon sale. What are the benefits of using plywood over a solid wood say pine for instance? If it just stability do you think that would be a major factor in such a small project. And on the underside (possibly wet side) what do you use for waterproofing? Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
well its cheaper and will hold up the same in such an application.... were it me (and its not) i would also use a glass cover to protect the electronics from evaporation moisture... if not then any latex based paint should do fine i would use white to help with the lights reflectivity....

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Either might work as well depending on what the solid wood might be. Pine comes in a number of different type. Some better, some not. Yellow pine is often pretty prone to warping as it has more moisture left in it. Not by chance lookinf at fir and thinking it is pine? The plywood if it is straight and not bowed when you build , will do well for a small canopy for a twenty. If warping is a concern with whatever you use, consider put a stiffenr on the longer pieces. Sides might be a place where a small board laid at 90 degrees to the main board can make both much stronger. Think of the wood compared to angle iron. The angle makes it resist bending. Using wood glue on joints is really worth the trouble as well. I just use white paint for sealing. I like oil base paint but that is personal choice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts