Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I'm a cichlid researcher setting up my own fish facility. I'm setting up plumbing for a central reservoir that will pump into multiple racks with several 30-gallon tanks. I have one concern. I will be using a submersible pump in a central reservoir (that will mix salt/buffer) and pump into a large PVC pipe vertically up (about 8 feet ) where it will then split into each rack. I am concerned if this pump needs to be permanently on since not all these tanks will require water flow. I would like to have enough pressure to fill new tanks in each rack but I'm unclear whether leaving this pump on 24/7 is a good idea.

Note: 30-80% of the tanks will always have some water flow from this plumbing.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sebastian

·
Registered
129 Posts
So my feeling is that you will need the pump to be always on, because you will have some tanks getting continuous flow. If pressure stability is the chief concern, then you could accomplish this with a variable speed pump, running it at a higher rate when 80% of the tanks are receiving water and at a lower rate when 30% are receiving water. If power efficiency is a greater concern than pressure, you can use a pump that is minimally sized to accomplish your goal of filling tanks simultaneously, and simply allow the pressure (and thus, flow rate) to drop off at high demand times.
Happy to discuss further if his sparks questions or if my answer is unclear.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Running the pump 24/7 isn't hurting it. It's a sump pump they are designed to run return water 24/7. I have basically the same setup as you without the continuous flow. I use a central res and a central drained do changes on my racks. My fill pump runs 24/7 keeping circulation in my res I'll valve off the circulation line and open main fill valve, then each tank has its own fill valve. The poster above mentioned variable flow DC pumps and I couldn't rave enough about them they are the cats meow for sure. Good luck with the fish room.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies! In a follow up would you recommend pumping air from an aquarium air pump or from an air compressor? I'm worried about the amount of noise a compressor may generate but I would prefer to have constant air flow in all my tanks.

Any suggestions or help greatly appreciated!

Sebastian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts