Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got the bottom piece done. I elevated the rocks 3" and siliconed everything together. There is enough room beneath the structure that I can run USJs (under sand jets). Speaking of, can I run a powerhead from my sump to flow water to the USJs?

The 3" support on the bottom. USJs will contour the rock. (below)

The assembled "module" (weighs about 40lbs.).

Rocks look a lot different when they are wet. I found a layer of green color while cleaving the rocks and decided that should be the focal point.

Let me know if you have any different ideas.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another dry-fit. I also have some cypress knots that I am going to incorporate. I am trying to keep the open sand area in the bottom as minimal as possible (for maintenance purposes).

Corner Overflow setup (below)

I cut slats in the foam to make it curve. It will all be covered with slate.

Let me hear some ideas.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And now the tedious process of siliconing all the pieces to the styrofoam. I layed down a layer of vinyl screen first for better adherence, as well as it makes the blue a little bit less visible. I am using little tiny chips to fill in the gaps.

Progress as of 12-11-08

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
anytime I've ever tried to silicone that type of slate together, it hasn't lasted... the one rock pulls a layer off the other rock and falls... hopefully that does not happen here but I thought I'd pass along the warning just in case.

Looks good, so hope it lasts!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks No. 6. I'm going to use this first section as a guinea pig. I'll stand it up tomorrow and see how it holds up. I have used a LOT of silicone, so hopefully I won't have any problems. We'll see, but thank you for the warning.

And I had another thought, maybe someone can help. If I hid a powerhead behind slate at sand level, would this work the same as USJs? The poo never gets below the surface of the sand, and the powerhead would be flowing right towards the corner overflow.

Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And now I'm elbow deep. I can't stop working on this thing. I have completed almost half of the left/back piece and couldn't wait to see what it looks like in the tank. The picture really doesn't do it justice.

I am waiting to borrow a hand grinder to finish the top row on that panel (I have to cut the rocks flush).

And thanks to "noobdood", I will also be building a canopy for this tank. Thanks dood!

-Brian

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And current progress as of 12/13/08. I put a lot of work (and beer) into this last night. What you are looking at is the two independent sections pushed together.

I'll keep posting my progress for anyone who is following along.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I had another thought, maybe someone can help. If I hid a powerhead behind slate at sand level, would this work the same as USJs? The poo never gets below the surface of the sand, and the powerhead would be flowing right towards the corner overflow.

Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
106 Posts
im very interested in seeing more of this, im doing a slate condo for my convicts :) Black slate in one corner and birdseye slate in the other for my jd's to build a home.

D

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Just wanted to keep everyone up to date on the canopy project. I was following "noobdoods" plan and made some modifications. Also, I have asked this question twice now, and still haven't heard any answers, can anyone help?

brianmccord2001 said:
I had another thought, maybe someone can help. If I hid a powerhead behind slate at sand level, would this work the same as USJs? The poo never gets below the surface of the sand, and the powerhead would be flowing right towards the corner overflow.

Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
106 Posts
maybe someone can help me address a question I have. Im going to be putting a fluval 405 or a fx5 in my tank, id love to do a slate tower to hide the intake tube of the filter, kinda like in this picture.

see the intake pipe?

Id love to hide this behind a slate wall, I could pull the slate wall out with ease and clean off the filter and tube when needed, the question is, would this hurt water flow at all?

Does anyone have a picture of a 405 or fx5 right out of the box with all the parts, Santa is bringing me one for xmas and im not sure which one it is. So we shall see.

Any help would be great , and good job on the slate, thats the route im going, but not sure if im going to do a whole background.

D

·
Registered
527 Posts
brianmccord2001 said:
(SNIPPED) Also, I have asked this question twice now, and still haven't heard any answers, can anyone help?

brianmccord2001 said:

Any thoughts anyone?
I wouldn't have the powerhead at sand level as some of the sand may get sucked up and damage the impeller but if you can have it a bit above the sand level with a prefilter, then that would probably work pretty good.

The background and the canopy look cool btw. Keep us updated :thumb:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts