Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You may have read from other posts I am dealing with a pretty good ich outbreak. Treating with high heat and salt. The fish are aggressively flashing. I went down to the tanks in the middle of the night to be sure the temp wasn't getting too high. I am shooting for 87 degrees. I have two plecos, the larger one is around 6 inches, it was snuggled up against the side of a good size vc10. Moments later they separated. This morning I witnessed at least four different fish approach the pleco on their side. The pleco touched their sides briefly and off they went. Could the pleco be cleaning off ich parasites? I have read they will suck off the mucus layer and that can kill the fish.

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
I thought you were going to say they are not reacting well to the salt. Never heard of them acting as cleaner fish.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't find much on the subject, but some fish are known to do this but only as a side to its normal behavior. It is weird though because the fish approach the pleco on their side, let themselves get sampled and then swim away.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts