Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know these aren't cichlids i just felt like sharing.
these are my common bristlenose.
male

female

there first babies

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if you get a male and female bristlenose put them in a tank together and put in a tube shaped cave for them to lay in and give cucumber and other things for them to eat hopefully they will breed.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Bristlenose plecos are easy to breed...and once they get started, they breed like rabbits! I would start with 1 male and 1-2 females and have lots of caves...frequent water changes to induce spawning also helps.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
You must have scattered the fry, they normally stay with the father until the yolk sacs are absorbed.
I have multiple brown BN breeders that also produce albino and calico fry. I've been dropping the brown fry into tanks with cichlids, already have too many of those.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
For bristlenose varieties, males have bristles, females don't.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
usually the males have lots of big bristles on his nose and the female has none or a few small ones

·
Registered
71 Posts
Another way to tell which is male(when still young w no bristles) is to look at his head shape. The males head tends to be slightly longer and flatter while the females is shorter and rounder. I have also noticed males tent to have a sort of army camo with light and dark contrast. Females are more blended in color.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts