Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have 2 plecos, but the front glass still has some brown looking algae on it...
Should i scrap or let them eventually get it?

And,
What is best method for removal? Magnet ?

Do NOT want to scratch glass......

·
Registered
71 Posts
How big is the tank and how long have the plecos been resident in it?

I use magnets and haven't had any scratching but be sure no little bits of gravel or what not are between the magnet and the glass.

You could also just get down and dirty with a course, aquarium safe sponge.

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
I scrape during water changes, something to do while the water is draining. A scrubbie on a handle does glass above substrate. (No touching to avoid picking up a grain of sand.)

Then I use an old credit card to do the last inch of glass down into the substrate line. You can feel if a grain gets caught and you can release it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm afraid you'll be waiting a long time for the plecos to clear the brown algae, unless you stop feeding for a few weeks and they get desperate.

!Algae eating fish" don't clear up as much as you'd think in my experience. Best bet is to clean it all off, and then hope that they can keep on top of any new growth. If not, try to establish the caus eof teh alage and correct that :thumb:

·
Registered
623 Posts
I would just wipe it. I have a long brush which comes in handy since my tank is over 2 feet deep. The best algea eater I've had is a Siamese algea eater. I may rehome my pleco ang get more. Also they are very active

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
What are the species of pleco you have? Not all eat much algae from the glass.

Siamese algae eaters and Africans are not always a great mix.

·
Registered
238 Posts
DJRansome said:
Then I use an old credit card to do the last inch of glass down into the substrate line. You can feel if a grain gets caught and you can release it.
Never thought about the credit card idea. Excellent tip! :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
40,491 Posts
The credit card also works on that hard green spot algae you get in a healthy planted tank...when the glass feels smooth you are sure it's off.

And, the credit card can slip between rock and glass in spots that are too tight for the regular scrubber.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts