Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't seen one of my two bushynose/bristlenose (not sure if there is a difference) in a week or so. Afraid that he was dead and reducing my water quality I went on a fish hunt!

After moving nearly ever rock in my tank, I found him (the one with the bristlenose is the male, right?) guarding the nest underneath a rock! I see the female (no bristles on her nose) swimming about, so I'm wondering if I have the sex backwards.

This is exciting, although, I have a breeding group of yellow labs and a breeding group of aceis that having bred yet! It's only been 8 months, so I may still have awhile for these guys.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
You're right, the male guards the clutch and he's the one with the bristles. Female may have a few short ones, but not really noticeable. The female is only allowed in long enough to lay the eggs and they she has to go away. She plays no role after that. The male will try to keep the wrigglers protected and in the cave for as long as he can, but once they escape, they're on their own.

Did you find eggs, wrigglers? At what stage are they?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for filling me in prov356. I found eggs; no wrigglers yet. I have another tank set up and running (and cycled) waiting for a holding mother. I was not prepared to gather eggs (or eventually wrigglers) from the main tank!

Let's assume that the eggs have been there around one week; how long until there are wrigglers?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
If the eggs were there, you'd see them. (Mis-read, I see you did find eggs) They're fairly large and adhere together. Very easy to remove once you know they're there. It's only a few days at most from first laid to wrigglers. But, I don't know for sure as I usually didin't know there were even there until they became free swimming and started to escape from the cave.

I always kept mine in the breeding tank, as I bred there in their own 10 gallon tank. There were a couple of times where the male would either lose or expel the eggs from the cave (not sure which), so I put them in a net and set it in a tank over the sponge filter, so the bubbles would move water around the eggs. A poor man's tumbler, if you will. Worked great and all eggs hatched that way.

Once they absorb the yolk sacs fully, give them some zucchini or similar. I blanched the zucchini to soften it and tied it to a rock with a rubber band.

Some pics. I miss these guys sometimes.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again and awesome pics! I'll keep you posted on whether or not I'm successful. I no longer see the eggs in the cave, so I wonder if there are now wrigglers deeper under the rock.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Just be ready to be inundated with fry. Once they start, they'll give you up to 100 or more every few weeks.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Congratulations on your BN spawn. Once mine started, they haven't stopped. And what was
really fun to find, was albino fry from the dark colored parents. Don't know which parents produced them, though, I have 3 pairs in the tank.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any update - I had to use my second tank as a quarantine, so I purchased a breeder box for the show tank. Pull the eggs out from underneath a rock that is at the bottom of a pile (what a chore) and placed them along with the male into the breeder. Doesn't look like there are many, maybe 20 or so.

Now waiting to see if I get some wrigglers.

football mom said:
Congratulations on your BN spawn. Once mine started, they haven't stopped. And what was
really fun to find, was albino fry from the dark colored parents. Don't know which parents produced them, though, I have 3 pairs in the tank.
Cool! An almost naturally occurring albino!

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
No reason to leave the male with the eggs, they don't need him. For a first spawn, 20 is about right. You should start to see little black dots on the eggs soon. When they are free swimming, you can drop them back in the tank, or move them right away to a growout. Make sure there's some circulation in the breeder box. Just enough so the eggs sway around a bit is fine.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
prov356 said:
No reason to leave the male with the eggs, they don't need him. For a first spawn, 20 is about right. You should start to see little black dots on the eggs soon. When they are free swimming, you can drop them back in the tank, or move them right away to a growout. Make sure there's some circulation in the breeder box. Just enough so the eggs sway around a bit is fine.
That seems obvious to me now that you tell me... but I put him in there with them and the eggs were gone within an hour! :eek: He must have ate them, there is no where for them to go.

Next time, I won't put him in there with him! I'll post back if/when the next round begins.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Too bad about losing your first BN spawn... but they will breed again. Mine like to spawn in the
little terracotta cave/huts, or in the ceramic cones. I can usually see a male's tail or head sticking out to indicate he is guarding eggs.
Once the fry have left the "nest" the easiest way I have found to remove them from the main tank is to just siphon them up into a bucket. They are almost impossible to get out with a net.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts