Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My original post regarding algae is gone so I started this to thank everyone for their help.
I had algae growing on the rocks and some suggested getting a pleco. I went to the lfs and got a bristlenose pleco and am amazed at whats happened in the last few days. Whenever I see him he's upside down stuck to the bottom of a rock, but where there was algae there isn't any anymore, so I guess he's active when I'm not around. He's cleaned just about all the algae in 5 days. I guess I can keep the light on longer now?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Morning said:
You may also want to get some algae wafers to supplement his diet if there is no longer an abundance of algae for him to eat.
Will that accelerate algae growth or does the pleco just eat the wafer?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,856 Posts
The Pleco will just eat the algae wafer, it will not cause algae to grow. You can also feed him slices of zucchini if you want, just remove the uneaten piece after 24 hours or when it gets mushy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Hey iron, what size pleco did you get? I was thinking of getting a much older/bigger one just in case a little one would get beat up. Anyone have thoughts about that? TIA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NewkeeperRico said:
Hey iron, what size pleco did you get? I was thinking of getting a much older/bigger one just in case a little one would get beat up. Anyone have thoughts about that? TIA
I'd say he's about 3", he's bigger than the fish. Nobody messes with him.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
My mbunas don't mess with my bn and it's only about an 1.5-2". They used to get too close when I first added it. My cichlids are anywhere from 1.5-3".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,069 Posts
Mbuna may completely ignore Plecos, since there is no reason for conflict other than cave territory. But Mbuna can harass and stress them out. It depends, Mbuna tanks can to be high stress.

Best to add the Pleco when the Mbuna are young. Adding a small scared Pleco with established adult mbuna might be a disaster. Mbuna do not attack for food initially, but they can be opportunistic and gang up on vulnerable fish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
ironspider said:
I guess I can keep the light on longer now?
Mine is on from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm.

I currently have three types of food in my rotation, and the plecos happily munch on all of them. They're opportunistic, and will even turn on their backs to eat pellets that are floating in the water.

I also have algae wafers, but have noticed that a few of the other fish eat them as much as the plecos do, so I use them as a treat, not necessarily as a staple specifically for the plecos.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
fish_gazer said:
ironspider said:
I guess I can keep the light on longer now?
Mine is on from 5:00 pm to 10:00 pm.

I currently have three types of food in my rotation, and the plecos happily munch on all of them. They're opportunistic, and will even turn on their backs to eat pellets that are floating in the water.

I also have algae wafers, but have noticed that a few of the other fish eat them as much as the plecos do, so I use them as a treat, not necessarily as a staple specifically for the plecos.
My Pleco is too busy to worry about the food I put in the tank. He'll just keep attached to that rock or the glass while the other fish go nuts. I did buy the wafers but that turns into another feeding frenzy with the others, the pleco doesn't care. I just hope he's getting enough food.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
40,517 Posts
As long as his belly is not concave he is fine. This is typical behavior for plecos...mine have the food fall on their heads and ignore it initially.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
NewkeeperRico said:
Ah ok that was going to be my next question bout my bn not eating as much as the fish. I throw the wafers in there and the fish eat it all up.
It is fun watching the rest eat the wafers though.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top