Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's gone without a trace.
I've have a stable/well-settled assortment of Malawis to include a black catfish
for about 4 years.
I bought the pleco (light yellow color) last year and would mostly hide in the rocks, coming out in the eve and at
night for "glass algae".
I noticed the amount of algae increased, so i reduced the use of full lights (maybe and hour or 2 a day at most).
It didn't jump out. No remains, nothing.
I figure the others ate it.
Are not plecos armor plated spartans?
Without remains, i guess i'll never know.
I need something to eat the algae. Any suggestions?
Comments?

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Bristlenose plecos are usually the ones that (a) do the best job on algae while at the same time (b) having the best chance of survival.

I have never had one die after it had survived for a couple of months. But 40% of mine are killed shortly after adding them to the tank.

I'd do another bristlenose if I were you. Just make sure you add at least six fish to the tank at the same time so he is not the sole newcomer.

If you don't need to add any other fish...then remove five individuals and hold them with the bristlenose during the 3-week quarantine period in another tank. Then add the six.

·
Registered
874 Posts
save the plecs and scrape the algae off with an algae scraper. :thumb:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mudkicker said:
save the plecs and scrape the algae off with an algae scraper. :thumb:
Ha! Too funny.
Old habits are hard to break:
I've always believed that scavengers are needed in any tank (but I ain't no expert for sure)
Picked up another yesterday.
It is NOT a bonified Malawi and the store said: "It won't matter with this pleco."
It's as big as the biggest fish in the tank, unlike the the one that went missing which was quite small.
Mudkicker: I use the magnet thingys all the time. :p :lol:
DJRansome: I'll be looking for a "bristlenose". So far, no local stores had 'em and this big black one i bought yesterday was cheap. I will certainly check out the bristlenose too. Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
If it was ate the skull will be in the substrate...rhino plecs also are good algae eaters but I think bristlenose might be best.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I have a bristlenose as well and he's always out, my mbuna's do not bother him.. I'd agree as say stick with the bristlenose. Labs,Demasoni,mbamas

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
bristlenose are also called ancistrus. The females have either shorter, or no bristles.

My catfish are GREAT hiders. You can pick up a rock, turn it over, and if you don't watch closely, you'll miss the fact that he skimmed over the surface of the rock to be on the side away from you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts