Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
41,836 Posts
Mbuna can attack plecos, but you would see the damage. They like to go for the eyes.

They can also arrive in an unhealthy condition, and you may be unable to nurse them back to health. Was the belly plump or concave?

·
Administrator
41,836 Posts
I've had plecos with no live plants and 30 second feedings survive with no problem. They don't swarm with the other fish IME...maybe it's just the bristlenose like I have that behave that way.

I would just keep an eye out for her on the glass and make sure her belly was nicely rounded (not concave).

·
Administrator
41,836 Posts
The Africans are curious and check out the eyes. Then they take a nibble. Then one thing leads to another. The fish are not all that compatible as sir_keith has stated. They don't even clean decor well. At one point in their young lives they can clean algae off the glass in an entire tank overnight, but that is not a lifetime habit. Probably if you feed too much they don't clean at all. Once you are lucky enough to get a savvy one who survives the initial introduction, they are usually OK for life. Kind of fun to breed, but the young need to be fairly mature before introducing to an African tank. Not big, just have some experience. I provide low, covered hiding places like a terra cotta saucer covered with a slate tile. The Malawi like these caves as well, but maybe a LITTLE more protection for the BN.

Reactions: Muhammed Hisham
1 - 4 of 4 Posts