Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
7,008 Posts
Of the two I like The Fish Room better since not everyone is going to understand what you mean by 'monster' fish.
But I think you should have the word 'rescue' in your name simply because it explains what you're trying to do.
Fish Rescue. It's not very creative but I know right away what's it's about.

The Fish Room could be a restaurant. . .

Whatever you call it I think it's a great idea. Please keep us posted on how it goes.

Robin

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I agree with Robin about needing the word Rescue or something referring to the purpose in the title. I agree so much so that I voted against the name that sounds better...

I suggest:

"LAFRN" - Large Aquarium Fish Rehoming Network - This sounds inviting to the large Aquariums you are asking to assist you in your mission. It also offers a nice explanation and a nice acronym that sounds really funny if you say it with a southern accent...

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I like Monster Fish Rescue. Not just because I came up with it. You had mentioned that you had contacted several LFS about it and they wanted to be a Part. Since, more often or not they would be where people would try first to off load their large fish, the LFS would be the one recomending you. Your name needs to make sense to them, not really the average person with a fish that needs rescuing. The name is catchy, and to people who know what is meant by "monster fish" your name would not be confusing at all.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are killing me :-? :-? AAAHHH !!!!!! I appreciate all your opinions and they all make great sense...

My wife like "The Fish Recue Network" We agree that rescue needs to be in the title, but we both like the word network because in the end it's about educating the aquarist. Giving out information, having a website, doing background checks before we re-home a fish.... You get it.... So what do you think of that?

·
Registered
203 Posts
I would like to start one here-- or can I just mail you all the unwanted oscars/rds, catfish/turtles that I find. Out of curiosity; what do you think your 800gal costs to run monthly?
I like monster fish rescue, or large fish rescue; simple & descriptive.
It's an intriguing idea. My area is sensitive to various invasive species, probably not too many tropical fish, but I bet they get dumped out in the local lakes and rivers. I know turtles, goldfish do by the bucketful. Wish you good luck with it!!

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
How about "Fish Rescue Organization" straight and to the point. :)

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
LAFRN has Network in it.........

·
Registered
37 Posts
What, no one likes my name? :( :( :(

j/k you all have great suggestions and points....but honey(TFG), my vote is The Fish Rescue Network :D

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I would caution against the "Network" part. YOU are not a network. You are a Rescue. The term rescue (like in dog rescue) implies that you take the unwanted animal, make sure its healthy (or get it there yourself) and then find in a new appropriate caring home for it to spend it life. All for no profit.

Now, the group of people you cultivate to take these rescued fish from you are the network. The "network" is not the not for profit organization.

Make sure you check governmental rules as to what can be called a network or a rescue and what can't for tax purposes. Unless you are including these people when you get donations, then you are not a network.

Also with so many "rescue organizations" around, it is pretty much understood that the people who will eventually be the perminant home are carefully screened and approved before the aminal changes hands.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
I just thought of something…

When I was 18~19 the county made me get rid of a large Boa (long story) and I tracked down a reptile rescue…I went to meet the lady, drop off the snake and make a donation ($200)… She was about 30 years old… lived in a HUGE house in a nasty area of Detroit and had hundreds of snakes and lizards taking over her home… I totally understand having passion behind your hobby… I totally understand taking a passionate hobby to an extreme… Dude… don’t get like the snake lady in Detroit…

A Communication Network is not the people who communicate… it’s the system set up to allow the people to communicate… So TFG’s organization is the system or the Network… and the people who donate money, animals or space are comparable to the people using the communication network…

I like using the word Network… it recognizes your contributors as being a part of…

I’m not saying anyone else is wrong, just throwing out food for thought….

·
Registered
203 Posts
Big Pet Fish Rescue?? I'd be going nuts with all the choices by now-- oh wait I'm already nuts!! :lol: I'd still go for simple/descriptive. Hey do we get a prize for picking the best name, maybe an oscar or two? :D

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Unless the people who are going to adopt these fish are a closed circle of friends, its not a network. If that is how TFG wants to re-home them, thats fine. If he is going to do a website of fish up for adoption, and allow anyone to apply for adoption (though they may not neccesarily get a fish). He is the rescue, not the network.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I must say that I think the name "Fish Rescue Organization" is cool just because of the initials, "FRO"...hence the slogan "Fear the FRO", ha ha. A little Detroit Pistons humor...(sorry, I'm in Detroit and I just had to say it!) :lol:

FEAR THE FRO! :p

·
Registered
333 Posts
Well, my wife and I have set-up and ran a couple of Reptile Rescue Organizations in the states of Va and NC. However my true love is and has always been fish. TFG if you need a chapter in the NC area just let me know. I have more empty tanks and empty indoor ponds that its actually kinda depressing.

There the first step in a Network. Or Organization. Or Affiliation of Associated Tropical Fish Keepers. (Look at that my English prof. would have been proud. Or had a heart attack. Isn't that like three adjectives in one fragmented sentence?)

Just a thought...Would this only go towards freshwater cichlids? I live in a military town and being as such many Marines keep saltwater tanks. When we deploy there is usually a surplus in large predatory saltwater fish here. Would these also be accepted by the as yet to be named rescue organization? Or are any unwanted/unable to care of fish be included. Like large clown knives and clown loaches for example. Or is just Monster fish inc.? Any monster fish goes type of deal?

Again if you need anything, from donations to homes for unwanted fish just let me know I'm absolutely willing to help.

Sean

1 - 20 of 94 Posts