Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow cichilid enthusiasts

We have recently bought some new fish for our collection, please could you be so kind as to help us identify their names.

Video in next post

When naming please state colour of fish and roughly what number it was in the video

Many thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
The 4th fish, light blue with black strip on dorsal fin looks like a Pseudotropheus socolofi
The 8th fish, blue with yellow and orange fins looks like a metriaclima greshaki

·
Registered
105 Posts
The first thing i notice is the fish are breathing hard, you might want to add some aeration to the aquarium. The guys above say that your fish are overfed but they look fine to me. Get that convict out of there asap.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
3rd fish (midnight blue, white dorsal stripe, yellow tail) is probably a Pseudotropheus elegans (formerly Ps. Acei) from the Itungi collection point. Sometimes these are called "Tanzania black" Acei.

I agree with the above posters on the Elongatus (Mpanga), L. Trewavasae, Socolofi, and Metriaclima Gresheki.

I also agree that the nipped fins are a sign of excessive aggression. Keep an eye out to see if any of your fish appear very aggressive and territorial.

Your fish are breathing rapidly. This could be an indication of low oxygen in the tank (or possibly high ammonia or nitrite). You may want to increase surface agitation or decrease the temperature if your temp is above 80 deg F.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The convict used to be the boss, and when he was the entire tank was peaceful. Another fish has slowly grown and become the boss and he seems the problem. He's chases the other fish all day and it's him who has nipped the convict. I want to get rid of him so our convict is back in charge as he's well behaved when boss.

There is defo good aeration in the tank, the filter has a bubbler on it so it also throws out lots of small bubbles.

Yesterday evening I took all decor out the tank and swished the substrate around and then put the decor back in different places, you think this has caused the fast breathing?

I haven't done a water change yet... Am planning to do 50% tomorrow now that the poo has settled.

P.s. The convict is still breeding so I guess he's fine?

·
Super Moderator
40,533 Posts
Phillips321 said:
There is defo good aeration in the tank, the filter has a bubbler on it so it also throws out lots of small bubbles.?
Better to go by whether your fish are sipping air from the surface.

Phillips321 said:
Yesterday evening I took all decor out the tank and swished the substrate around and then put the decor back in different places, you think this has caused the fast breathing??
Very likely, and possibly ammonia and nitrite as well. What are your test results for these?

Phillips321 said:
I haven't done a water change yet... Am planning to do 50% tomorrow now that the poo has settled.?
Next time you might want to wait to stir your substrate until your siphon is already in the tank and suck up the poo as you stir it up. I'd test the tank and do a 50% or more water change as soon as you can.

Phillips321 said:
The convict is still breeding so I guess he's fine?
Sick and stressed fish breed...it's not an indicator of good health.

·
Registered
554 Posts
+ 1 on testing water parameters.
The convict requires different water from the africans.
The tank looks small for a guy that big - what are the dimensions?
+ 1 on the fishies breathing hard, what's your temp?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.