Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Why do you think you have it? I'm not sure, similar to "Msobo", there are many similar fish.

If you bought yours from a mass market store, or from a mix tank, it is unlikely to be your fish.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
salousi or msobo female are good bets (especially salousi since the next scene is a brief clip of what looks like a salousi male, but the fish has eggspots. Do females develop eggspots? I know eggspots are used by males specifically to entice females and to use during the breeding process that's why I figured only males would develop them.

didn't buy it at a store. how many similar fish are there? two is not that many :) i don't think there's a single peacock or hap that looks like it and i don't know of any from tang. or victoria that look like it, so there can't be that many which look like it. the only fish i know next to nothing about are mbuna so not surprised that the two closest are mbuna.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
neither of what fish?

there is one fish in question and two suggestions were made. one was msobo, by you, and another was saulosi someone else. so i have no idea what you're talking about.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
the yellowish female at the 1:09 mark is not a Saulosi... the male fish that follows (a M. zebra type) is not a Saulosi either.

Mbuna females can have smaller eggspots in most species

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i appreciate the input but don't understand why you're so cryptic.

how do you know the yellowish fish is not a saulosi?
you also said it could be one of many fish, what are those many fish? (it's definitely not a red zebra. i've owned many and their shape are far different from that of the fish in the video and their color is more orange).
how do you know the male is an m. zebra type?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
The body type is slightly off for it to be a saulosi, I'll admit. The next male is definitely not a saulosi male - either an afra male or a zebra (looks exactly like the next male, a red top zebra, minus the red top).

There are tons of fish in the lake (850 species) that aren't available in the hobby, which is probably why Noki thinks you may not have this particular fish. Can you get a photo of your fish?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes, I will try to get a photo of the fish. i didn't think about the availability within the hobby so i guess that's what noki meant. I had looked through so many profiles and saw so few, that I just didn't understand the idea of there being endless possibilities.

i'll get a photo and maybe it'll turn out that it is a hybrid after all.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
That yellow fish in the video is NOT a saulosi - body shape and size is all wrong. There are many mbuna species out there with yellow/orange females. I think the guess of M. msobo female is right on - as that was my first impression as well.

The BB male that follows that shot is a Metriaclima species - not a Cynotilapia species. That male looks a lot like the Manda variant of M. zebra.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
here's a picture so everyone can tell me that, apparently, it looks nothing like the fish in the video :)

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
cholile said:
here's a picture so everyone can tell me that, apparently, it looks nothing like the fish in the video :)

sorry :lol: it looks nothing like the fish in the video.

Your fish is a manmade "Peacock" hybrid, a mix of Mbuna, Hap, and Peacock... nobody seems to know what the exact mix is... it has no scientific name

The fish in the video may be Metriaclima "Membe Deep", less orange than a "Msobo". "Msobo" are somewhat common now and could be found.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I think the fish at that point in the video may be a Tropheops but its pretty mute point now. :wink:

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Can I take that back? I think the post above mine is more likely after looking again. :oops: :)

Nice video though.

Can anyone ID the location from the varieties shown or knows what part of the lake it was shot at?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
don't want to be the diction police, but you mean moot point, not mute point. ;) sort of like when people say irregardless (as a redskins fan I heard Joe Gibbs say that time and again).

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
24Tropheus said:
Can I take that back? I think the post above mine is more likely after looking again. :oops: :)

Nice video though.

Can anyone ID the location from the varieties shown or knows what part of the lake it was shot at?
Identifying the location would mean contacting the person that shot the video.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Actually, for my money, I think both the yellow fish and the following blue on blue appear to be kingsizei.

Psuedotropheus sp. "kingsizei lupingu" female

Psuedotropheus sp. "kingsizei north" male

1 - 20 of 22 Posts