Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - I thought I had an all male tank until the smallest "Blue colored" fish has produced **** twice now! I am certain the father is a metrialima estherae (the dominent fish of the tank). All the fry are at different growth stages look like the father but have some dark spots/colour on the head and dorsal fin. The problem here is that I thought the blue colored female was a male metrialima estherae! But I have since read that females can only be orange and not blue!!! This is really troubling me right now as I would like to know what is the name of the female "blue" fish and did I cross-breed. Please see attached two pictures - the female fish in question is on the furthest right on both pictures. This is the smallest fish in the tank and has had **** twice and I think she is holding again within a 2 month period. There are verticle stripes and become more pronouced when there is a sign of danger. This little guy took no prisoners when she was holding and would even chase the dominate Red Zebra away - almost 4-5 times her size! Thanks for your help

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sha ... s-_-Sharee

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Yes, you did cross breed.

There are many Metriaclima "zebra" complex females that are bluish, or greyish... nearly impossible to tell many of them apart, if this fish is even pure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok thanks for the reply. Not really what I expected. I was hoping that the blue colored cichlid (not grey at all) might at least be pure. I was thinking cobalt zebra. I inherted these cichlids and did not purchase from store. I am now reading more and learning more. This female continues to breed and I am now unhappy. There are at least 6 **** that survived in the tank. I did not separate the holding female and let nature take it's course. Once they **** start growing this will be an issue for me. Do I flush them down the toilet as I don't want to take to LFS. Not a good place to be in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts