Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone - Happy holidays! I thought I had an all male tank until the smallest "Blue colored" fish has produced **** twice now! I am certain the father is a metrialima estherae (the dominent fish of the tank). All the fry at different growth stages look like the father but have some dark spots on the head and dorsal fin. The problem here is that I thought the blue colored female was a male metrialima estherae. But I have since read that females can only be orange and not blue!!! This is really troubling me right now as I would like to know what is the name of the female "blue" fish and did I cross-breed. Please see attached two pictures - the female fish in question is on the furthest right on both pictures. This is the smallest fish in the tank and has had **** twice and I think she is holding again within a 2 month period. There are verticle stripes and become more pronouced when there is a sign of danger. This little guy took no prisoners when she was holding and would even chase the dominate Red Zebra away - almost 4-5 times her size! Thanks for your help

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/cre ... s-_-Sharer

·
Super Moderator
40,925 Posts
I don't see anything in the link. But they have to be hybrid fry, right? Father is estherae and estherae females are orange as you mentioned.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any ideas on the Blue colored female in the photo? It really looks like a zebra. Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,925 Posts
I can't tell, but you might want to post in the Unidentified forum.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts