Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 60 gallon hexogon tank. I now know that I am not supposed to have my cichlids mixed like I do, due to coming from different lakes etc. These are the fish that I have.... can someone please tell me what lakes each one is from and what ones can be in the same tank. I have another tank set up for the fish and am willing to get more tanks if needed.

1: venustus juvenile
2: peacock
3: Kenyi
4: rusty
5: bumblebee
6: elbino
7:two jewels
8:yellow tail acei
9: haplochromis (2)
10: red zebra
11: Ice blue zebra
12:red peacock

I am very thankful to those of you that have given me advice without the harsh critisism. I am very much interested in my tanks and willing to learn anything anyone has to offer. Please help my find out what lakes these fish are from and the best way to seperate them
Thankyou so much!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
What are the dimensions of the 60G hex? Maybe that tank would be best for the jewels. They are not from Lake Malawi. All the rest are, but still don't make ideal tank mates all in one tank. I'd divide up as follows:

72" x 18" rectangle tank (125G)
1: Nimbochromis venustus (Malawi hap)
2: peacock (Malawi aulonocara)
9: haplochromis (2) [which kind? Malawi or Victorian?]
12:red peacock (Malawi aulonocara)

In this tank if you are going all-male, eliminate duplicates and avoid look-alikes. You would add fish, maybe end up with a dozen males depending on which you choose. For mixed gender groups you would stock 1m:4f of each and don't save peacock fry.

48" x 18" rectangle tank (75G). Choose one Metriaclima species.
3: Metriaclima lombardoi Kenyi (Malawi mbuna)
4: Iodotropheus sprengerae rusty (Malawi mbuna)
5: Pseudotropheus crabro bumblebee (Malawi mbuna)
6: Unknown albino (is this a Malawi mbuna?)
8: Pseudotropheus acei yellow tail (Malawi mbuna)
10: Metriaclima red zebra (Malawi mbuna)
11: Metriaclima Ice blue zebra (Malawi mbuna)

If you choose lombardoi and crabro, limit to two species and stock 1m:7f of each.

If you choose the other mbuna you can go to four species and stock 1m:4f of each.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
87"around n 24"tall on the hex.
im confused on what i should do...
n why not keep the peacock fry??
n why do you say keep the jewels? My jewel is my biggest meanest badest fish i have.
but i dont know about my fav..
i cant get rid of my bumblbee. he was my vary first fish i ever had n iv had him since he was about 3/4s of an inch now he is about three inchs. He has gotta stay.
n how can i tell haplochromis which kind? Malawi or Victorian?
i really do appreciate your help!!!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
What is the length of each side of the hex?
AngelHurford said:
n why not keep the peacock fry??
Peacocks crossbreed so having two species in a tank would produce hybrid fry.
AngelHurford said:
n why do you say keep the jewels? My jewel is my biggest meanest badest fish i have.
If you don't like them, get rid of them.
AngelHurford said:
i cant get rid of my bumblbee. he was my vary first fish i ever had n iv had him since he was about 3/4s of an inch now he is about three inchs. He has gotta stay.
If he is your priority then get him a 75G tank rectangle that measures 48" x 18" and 7 females. You could add one more species to that tank.
AngelHurford said:
n how can i tell haplochromis which kind? Malawi or Victorian?
What were they sold to you as? You could post a picture in the Unidentified Forum for help with ID.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ow yea n what are the names of the cichlid that you have on your display
iv wanted one of those ever since i got into cichlids
n can those go with bumblebees

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
The tank is not big enough for Malawi. Since they want a territory among the rocks or sand the height is not very useful for them.

They like a long tank...48" long is a nice size that fits a lot of Malawi of medium aggression that mature at 6" or less.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
OK lets say you are going to buy a 75G tank so you can keep your Pseudotropheus crabro (bumblebee). You would stock 1m:7f of those and get rid of all your other fish.

The fish in my avatar is Pseudotropheus demasoni. Some people have had trouble stocking two barred species, even if one is blue and one is yellow. But you could try it. I'd have 20 of them in the 75G with the crabro and no other fish.

These are both aggressive fish, so keep the hex for a hospital tank.

Demasoni will fight among themselves and reject extra males as they mature. When you see one lurking at the surface or trying to hide behind heaters or filter intakes, you need to remove him or the constant stress will make him susceptible to diseases like bloat that can wipe out your tank. Let him heal up for a month by himself in the hex hospital tank and then return him to the LFS. This makes demasoni more challenging to keep, so it's a good idea to factor into your decision.

An easier alternative choice for a 75G with crabro would be a fish like Pseudotropheus acei. For those I would stock 1m:5f.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts