Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've had a tank set up for about a year and a half. Part of the original gang are 6 petricola catfish who have always been healthy and active. About a couple weeks ago I noticed something on the underside of 2 of the 6 cats. They still eat fine, play and swim around, and dont show any signs of being down. There is not a single spot on another fish in the tank which includes cyps (adults+fry), paracyps, calvus, and tetras.
pH- 8.0-8.2
kH-15
ammonia and nitrites-0
nitrates-40 ( hard to tell exactly since 20-80 all look alike on the API test kits

I have a couple pics below. My dilemma is I am not sure if I want to add them back to the tank in case they end up being diseased and spreading it to my other fish. What should I do?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Do you have a rough substrate in the tank right now, they look almost as if they have rubbed their skin off scratching. Do you ever see them flashing or rubbing against anything like they are itching?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The substrate is half black sand and half eco-complete for plants wis is a little rougher. They were with all sand for the first year+ I added the eco-complete a few months ago. I see them flashing off and of all the time when they chase each other it concerned me at first, afraid it might be a parasite, but theyve done it since I got them a year and a half ago and theyve grown and been healthy since.
Thats what it looks like to me, gigantic scrapes. No fuzzies or redness or growths just missing skin. IDK what to do about it though and am afraid it will get infected and spread through the tank

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Sorry, I can't see the pics, but here's a few thoughts:

I've had syndontis with eco complete plant substrate with no problem, so I doubt that is the issue.
I do occasionally get what looks like scraped skin on one of my lucippinis. It appears to be from quarreling with tankmates or squeezing through too small of a hole in the rocks. The area just appears scraped and light colored. It heals completely in less than a week.
If your scrapes are taking more than a week to heal, then I'd personally do something to help. It sounds like they're already in a hospital tank. I'd personally make sure the water is crystal clean and then maybe start with Melafix to see if that helps healing. If the scratches look infected, then I'd move into an antibiotic of some sort. I certainly would not return them to the main tank until it's resolved.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I've never seen anything like that before... though I wonder if it might be a major heater burn

as Hollyfish said, crystal clean water and melafix to try and reduce the likelihood of any secondary infections

might want to ask on http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/index.php, who might have come across it.

bearing in mind I'm guessing regarding heater burns (it looks vaguely similar to what I've seen on a plec, but never to such a degree.) might want to see if you can get some heater guards.
https://flic.kr/p/2640806462 (see the link, it shows something vaguely similar, but on a drastically smaller area.)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well its been awhile and although not fully healed, the areas are getting smaller and normal skin is growing over the spots. They do love to hang around the heater which has a tunnel through the back of it to allow water to pass over the heater core, and they always swim and sleep in there so I am pretty sure its just massive heater burns.

It seems like everything comes at once though because shortly after this I had my first ich outbreak in 4+ years which has also since been resolved.

And lastly my solo paracyp had a perfectly circle white patch right behind the gills which grew outward and became fuzzy. After 3 days of pimafix it has disappeared and in its place is a small hole and a white patch on the pectoral fin, I am hoping this clears up as well. Been a bad month after not having a single infection in my tanks for years!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.