Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have little white sacs that look like they could be eggs??? in the corner of my cichlid tank. The female is hovering around them. Could someone please help me as to what this is and what I should do?? Thank you Kindly

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
They could be. What kind fish is it? Most African's are mouthbrooders, meaning they don't lay eggs like most fish do, but Central and South American cichlids do. Are they stuck to a flat surface? Pics?

You don't have to do anything. Saving eggs that are attached to something is not as easy as stripping a mouthbrooding mother. If they are on a rock, and you want to save the fry, remove or isolate the rock with the eggs.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
We need lots more info to do a good job telling what you have but for a shot in the dark I my think snails, first. Snail eggs are much more often overlooked by hungry fish than fish eggs hanging out on the wall. Any snails in the tank?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no snails.. The weird thing is, today they are diminishing rapidly almost like they are getting eaten. I probably only have like 10-20 little white "balls" or sacs left... HHmmmm....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must add... Thanks to this site I can have peace and mind that I can take care of these beautiful fish if I run into any problems. The local store doesnt seem to be to knowledgable. Thank you Cichlid Forum!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Tell us what fish you have... that would help!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry.. They are Convicts?? Bear with me as I am new to all of this.. And I have assorted african cichlids, Painted Parrots, Turquoise Jewels.. Stuff like that..

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
To say specifically what they might be we would need to know what fish you have. Some fish do lay eggs on different things. Others such as African cichlid mouthbrooders will lay eggs but hold them in their mouth until they hatch. What female is hovering near the eggs? It could be her eggs and she is guarding and fanning them. On the other hand there may be snails that you are not aware of yet and they are snail eggs. Little white balls or sacs can sound very much like angelfish eggs which were not fertilized and are now fungused. Too many options to count until we know what fish and possible options are out there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.