·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here are the fish I already have, and will not be changing up:
-1 Oscar
-1 Green Terror
-1 Senegal Bichir

I will be overfiltering the tank a lot (like 2 FX5s) so matinence wont be bad, but just aggression. But don't worry, I am filling the tank with lots of hiding spots. Here's what I was thinking of adding:
-1 Jack Dempsey
-1 Firemouth
-school of dithers (only there temporarily)

I would need to get them soon, while they are all juvies, so let me know what you guys think! Thanks :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
For dithirs you want to use something heavy body like silver dollars otherwise they'd become 'O' Snacks.

Aggression wise I don't see any problems with that stock list, nothing gets super aggressive on your list - however temperament does very from fish to fish, but your proposed stock looks good.

Just make sure to get the JD and FM big enough so your O can't eat them.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You will lose fish in this set up. I know you are trying for something a little outside the box but in my experience I have had no success with keeping these fish(jds,fm,O,and gt) together past 4-6" in a 125. They end up just snapping one day and I have dead or really injured fish. Hey if you pull it off please keep us updated.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Flippercon said:
You will lose fish in this set up. I know you are trying for something a little outside the box but in my experience I have had no success with keeping these fish(jds,fm,O,and gt) together past 4-6" in a 125. They end up just snapping one day and I have dead or really injured fish. Hey if you pull it off please keep us updated.
I'm actually rather curious about your experiences on this one. I will admit I have never kept an O (because they're catfish in cichlid form and I actually like to keep my dithers!) but the rest of the stock is pretty docile in SA/CA cichlid standards.

I mean, each fish has their own temperament that can go against the grain for their species but nothing on that list sticks out as the hyper-aggressive sorts that will go on a killing rampage in the tank.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I had that same exact stocking list at one point in my 125 at one point I got rid of the jd and I never had a bichir but still going strong actually with a couple other fish too

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm well, I have never kept Firemouths before, so I think I will save them till I get a species only tank first. I think just a JD and a school of Silver Dollars would look cool with the Oscar, GT, and Bichir.

Ugh, but then again, I love the smaller Central Amercians, like Convicts, and Firemouths (possibly). A couple Firemouths and the Oscar, JD, and Silver Dollars would be interesting

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I had firemouths,an O,jds,and gts in a 125 . All put in at around 2". The firemouths terrorized the the O, and terrors. Two months and I had a dead O, and finless gts. I removed the firemouths and the jds were the last ones in the tank. Right around 3" the firemouths snapped and the O was no match . The terrors just didn't grows quick as the rest . Nothing impossible. It might work, you never know till you try.

·
Registered
228 Posts
i dont see a single problem in this stock.....

u cant say for sure he will have problems its all hit or miss

id say try it it sounds good

in my 140 i had

2 oscars
2 JDS
1 FM
2 red jewels
2 angels
1 jag(was keeping for a friend till got 4in)

but that tank no longer holds water so i gave all my fish away but the two JDs

·
Registered
947 Posts
I think it has a good chance of working.

In my 125g I have the following;
1 female Red Devil
1 male JD
1 male Green Texas
1 male Salvini
1 female GT
...along with a large school of giant danios, several gouramis, 3 red finned botia loaches, a couple of Synodontus catfish, and a pleco. I have more of an aggression problem with the larger Synodontus catfish, than among the cichlids. My fish are adults, and grew up together...though I did have to remove a male Black Belt; he was replaced with the Texas.

If you have any aggression issues, it'll most likely be between the GT and JD, but that's not always going to happen.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
oldcatfish said:
I think it has a good chance of working.

In my 125g I have the following;
1 female Red Devil
1 male JD
1 male Green Texas
1 male Salvini
1 female GT
...along with a large school of giant danios, several gouramis, 3 red finned botia loaches, a couple of Synodontus catfish, and a pleco. I have more of an aggression problem with the larger Synodontus catfish, than among the cichlids. My fish are adults, and grew up together...though I did have to remove a male Black Belt; he was replaced with the Texas.

If you have any aggression issues, it'll most likely be between the GT and JD, but that's not always going to happen.
Sounds like my gfs tank minus the gt and add a JAG.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts