Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last two weeks I did about a 50% water change and cleaned the tank and both of my canister filters. The next day I added a Texas Cichlid and two small algae eaters. About three or four days later I noticed my fish were not acting right. Their appetites were good still though. I added Pimafix the next day because I noticed white spots on one of my Green Severums. The next day I noticed my Parrot scratching himself against the rocks at the bottom of the tank and I noticed more white spots on the other fish in the tank which is when I began to use API's Super Ick Cure. I dosed the tank as directed and did not put anymore Pimafix in there. This is day five and out of desperation I just performed a 30% water change, increased the temperature slightly (it was around 80), and added salt. Please tell me if you think this is ick and am I on the right track? I do not feel my small Green Severum is going to make it :(

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like ICK to me. Get the temp up and keep up with the salt also make sure you don't have any carbon in your filters. Did you quarantine the Texas and algae eaters?

·
Registered
278 Posts
I am not an expert but I just went thru this myself. The cure is cheap and worked to save all the rest of my fish. No one died the next day after starting the treatment and now the tank is clear of Ick. If you go to the "Library" tab and go to the article on treating ICK it is crystal clear and works!
In short..I basically increased the water temp to 82 degrees and increased the recommended Aquarium Salt ratio up to five times the recommended dose over 2-3 days.
Please read the article and understand why this treatment works. I saved everyone even one who looked too far gone to save.
Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Be careful of fish that cannot tolerate salt...not sure what that catfish is but do your research in him first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your responses! I have not done anything beyond what I described in my post pleading for help. I increased the water temp to 84 degrees and only added salt that first day after the water change. My Severums have always kind of freaked out over cleanings and water changes so I was hesitant to do them daily since they did not need any more stress. I am pleased to say that the green severum that was coated in ick and staying at the outlet for the pump has made a complete recovery! Unfortunately all three of my pictus cats have passed away. They never reacted to the salt before when I did water changes, but I feel like the increased water temp was more than they could bare. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts