Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello everyone,

I am hoping you can help me identify my fish as two successive fish stores have failed!

I have an 180 litre tank with two Cichlids and I would like to add to these however the fish store couldn't even say from which continent they are from!?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Scott

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
:eek: Looks quite a lot like Tilapia joka. But those normaly realy hard to get hold of when looking for em. :-?

All the best James

·
Registered
912 Posts
Two things make it extremely difficult to ID this fish; poor photos, and the fact that the specimen does not look like it's in very good condition.

T. joka has a subterminal mouth, this fish does not. It does not look right for buttikoferi, either. There are other Tilapia specie that have vertical bars, but most are extremely rare. Probability says juvenile T. mariae, but only if the fish is under 2.5 inches. They are striped until they reach sexual maturity, then develop the familiar pattern of squares down the flanks.

I'm not even sure that it is a Tilapia. It resembles some of the Tanganyikan fish, as well.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Apears to be Tilapia mariae. All the marking fit, including the redish coloration in the eye, shown in at least one of the pictures. The fish may show more of it's markings at a larger size then 2-3", dependant on mood. Though once the fish is large, all that typically remains of the striping are blotches along where the horizontal stripe runs through.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts