1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Says we dont have access to them. Upload them to photobucket and then copy and paste the img code into your message to make the pic appear in your post.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
Says we dont have access to them. Upload them to photobucket and then copy and paste the img code into your message to make the pic appear in your post.
+1 same here

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
1. Sign up for a free account with a one of these web sites:
www.freewebspace.net
www.photobucket.com

2. Upload the pictures from your PC to that online site. Pictures will be stored on their server and then accessible anywhere on the WWW.

3. After the upload is complete, view the photo you wish to post here. Right-click on the picture and then select Properties. Copy the Address (URL).

4. On this forum, Write in your post the following:

Code:

5. THEN, before you SUBMIT your post, be sure to PREVIEW it first. You should see the image. If not, double check your code.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for the info on posting pics the right way!!![/img]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
phishes said:
Both of these fish are African cichlids. The first one is a Krib and the second is a jewel.
Thank you!! Are there different kinds of Jewels or are they just an assortment of colors?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Yep the red one is a jeweland the other is a kribensis.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trying to find out as much as possible about these fish, I found something saying the Kribs like to live in pairs....should I get another one to keep this one company? Does it matter if I have two of the same sex or do I need one of each? Also, the Jewel LOVES to watch itself in the reflection....should I get more than one of him also? Or should I turn this into more of a community tank? I'm also looking into getting lava rock for both tanks. I should stack them along the back? And, lastly...if I wanted to narrow down my discussion from "general african cichlids"....where I would begin with these guys? Like, my auratus are mbuna from Malawi.....these two would be....??

:thumb: Thank you!! :fish:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Unfortunately both of these fish get really aggressive if paired. I have kept both in pairs and by them selves in community cichlid tanks. I actually have a female krib in ram tank audit does fine. Ample space is good for these fish to spread aggression. If they are the same sex you wouldnt have any problems. I had two wc male kribs in the ram tank as well wit no problems. The jewels IME are a bit more aggressive when paired. They would and could fight off cichlids 3 times there size. What is the footprint of the tank? What filtration are you using , and what is your wc schedule. I have kept a breeding pair of kribs in a 20l with dithers and no problems. The only problem I had was the kribs would dig to spawn and my rocks were not on the glass so it trapped my male and it died. That was a lessened learned. Now I keep the fry in the 20l and the Momma went to the ram tank.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. So no pairs....and just these two alone in the tank are good.....um...probably a horrible question and you can :lol: if you want to....what does "footprint of the tank" mean? and I just have a plain Aqueon filter from my LFS....& my wc schedule would be......?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Your foot print would be the tank dimensions (Lengthxwidth). Wc=water change. Your filters have model number/letters on them which tell us its specs. Kinda like a car (rs,ls,ss) the models numbers change as the design is different as well as functionality.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Got it.....my tank footprint is 24x12x12. Aqueon QuietFlowâ„¢ Power Filter 10 100GPH <<my filter. I couldn't see the model # on the filter itself. Hope this is what you're looking for. My cleaning schedule is to change 10% of the water weekly (letting the new water sit for 24 hours) and also vacuuming when I remove the water and before adding the new. Is this good? I do this to both my tanks.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You should look into getting a second filter for the tank. The demension you gave me says its a 15 gallon tank. So that being said you might want to stay with kribs over jewels. The jewels can reach 6". I also suggest getting an API freshwater master test kit. You need to adjust your wc to your readings. Get a test kit test the water as per instructions in kit and post them .

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You're very helpful. Thank you....I will do just that.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is my krib too young to be able to determine the sex?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It looks like a male to me. Longer body not much purple in the stomach area. Best way to pair up kribs is too get at least one krib with a bright purple stomach (female) and 2 more others. Create some caves and hiding spots. I would also suggest getting 3-6 zebra danios for dithers(Target fish). They will spread the aggression. Once you have a pair(inseparable), remove the the other kribs. Feed them well and they should start digging and spawning sooner or later. Kribs are excellent parents and I would suggest letting them raise the fry untill they get ready to spawn. You also need to remove the jewel it will get stressed if it is by itself with a krib pair. Just rehome the jewel if you want to have a krib pair. The colors in the kribs are so beautiful when they are in breeding dress. It is so much fun watching these fish raise their fry.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So the jewel needs a new home.....def wouldn't work with my m. auratus, right? I'm sure I know the answer...but want to double check. Would the jewel do well in a tank by itself? If so, what would the minimum tank size be in your opinion? He is quite spectacular to look at. :-?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I don't have any experience with the auratus but it is an African cichlid from lake Malawi, I not positive but it may work. You should post that question in the general African/ Malawi section. The jewel and krib is an African cichlid as well. You should get a better response there. Make sure you give all details on your tank from water readings to temperature. Also tank size and filtration. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts